Chapter 59: The Harvest Festival part 6, Curia Regis

The King's Court: From the Latin term Curia Regis. It is the term given to a council of advisers and administrators who serve the king. Before a new king sits on the throne, he chooses advisers that will help him govern the city.

While everybody could be an adviser, the king considers two simple factors when he makes his choice; social standing and exemplary skills in principal aspects of governance, such as warfare, taxation, and trade. That is why it was unheard of for a commoner to become an adviser.

According to the royal records, all previous advisers in The King's Court were of noble birth.

That all changed on the 7th month of the 967th year.

~~~~~

Before she even opened her eyes, the first thing that Lisa did upon waking up was to search the space beside her.

"Nini?", called Lisa softly as she opened her eyes. But instead of finding Jennie, she saw a folded piece of paper.

My dearest Lili,

Forgive me for leaving without waking you. Your sleeping face was so beautiful to disturb. <3 I returned to my quarters as early as I could. I wanted to avoid the early servants and the merchants setting up their booths.

Lili, the ring I gave you, make sure to keep it hidden. It is a powerful magical item that people would want to steal. I'll explain once I get a chance. I tried to tell you about it last night, but you fell asleep immediately. I guess you were pretty exhausted after the day you've had.

I still can't believe that we are about to do this. And I can't wait to see you later. I'll be wearing something green, in case you want to match. If you are looking for your shirt, I took it with me. It's mine now, Lili. Hehe.

With love and faith,
your Nini

P.S. Be sure to take a bath really well, okay? Hehehe.

Lisa sat up from her bed. She looked around her room, and it was clean and orderly. The latch on the door was still there, which meant that Jennie probably did the cleaning herself.

"Did she climb out of the window again or use some kind of magic to lock the door behind her?", thought Lisa as she stood up and stretched.

She had a girly smile as she rotated her head, and when her eyes fell on her reflection in the mirror, she almost jumped. She knew that she was still naked. What Lisa didn't expect were the words written on her breasts.

"Jennie was here. :P"

"That mischievous little girl.", thought Lisa as she started wiping the ink off, smiling.

After a quick breakfast and a long bath, Lisa chose an emerald green vest over a white long-sleeved shirt. She wore her most comfortable pair of pants along with black boots. And to complete her look, she chose an autumn brown coat and wore it above her vest.

"Should I bring my sword today?", thought Lisa. Her sword, Galad tul, was leaning on the side of her cabinet. She removed it from under her pillow last night, fearing that it might ruin the mood. Or worse, Jennie might want to use it for something.

At the Servants' Quarters

Jennie had just finished her long, relaxing bath. She wore a short white dress and a green see-through long sleeve over it.