Chapter 99: Checkmate / Turning Point

Checkmate:  usually known as mate, is a situation in the game of Chess where a King is threatened directly by an opposing piece and has no way to defend itself, whether by escaping, defeating the threat, or blocking it with an ally.

"Supper is ready, and I have an invitation to the feast. Would you like to come with me?"

When Wannie showed him the coin and invited him to the feast, Catropus knew he had no choice. "GO BACK TO WORK! ALL OF YOU!", shouted Catropus as he pulled Wannie to his private quarters.

"Where did you get this, child? Why do you have one of the pirate king's coins?"

"It was a gift from Madame Roseanne. It's my first time seeing one of the clean ones. I heard that these are rare now.", answered Wannie while looking around the room. It was spotless. Aside from the few burn marks here and there, the Captain's Quarters was as clean as a nobleman's bedroom.

"Roseanne? Why would she have this? And why would she give it to you? Did you steal it from her? Tsk... I will contact Shindong first.", said Catropus, not allowing Wannie to answer his five questions.

"Captain. I do not have time for this. We both know that once this coin is presented to a pirate captain, active or retired, that captain must fulfill a request."

"No need to remind me, child. Give it here.", said Catropus, taking the pirate coin in his hand. He checked the gold piece just to be sure. It was as real as the danger he was about to be in. "Very well. What is your request?" 

Wannie explained the situation as quickly as she could. And after a few minutes, Catropus closed his eyes and thought hard while cursing under his breath.

"What are we waiting for? You can't say no, Captain Catropus."

"Of course, I can. I'll just have to kill you and those ladies outside. Just stay still and shush. I'm asking permission from my boss.", answered Catropus. He cast a Sending spell to his wife, Nayeon.

"Beloved? My past has finally caught up to me. I will be heading to Darktow to save some friends. Forgive me, Nayeon. I love you."

Catropus waited. He felt the spell connect and could hear his wife breathing and sniffling. After a few minutes, Nayeon's voice entered his head.

"I forgive you, my love. Promise you will come back to me. I can not continue without you. Be safe, my captain. I love you."

"EHEM! Permission to come aboard!",  said a loud voice from the docks. Catropus peeked out the window and saw the rest of the group that Wannie had mentioned.

He immediately went out and gestured to the sailors to calm down.

"Let them up.", said Catropus. He felt exhausted from the unexpected events. He sat down on one of the barrels as the ladies gathered around him.

"Captain. Thank you very much for your help. I am Madame Kith.--

Catropus held his hand up and interrupted, "Wait. I will message Shindong first, and if he tells me to do this, then my ship is yours."

He closed his eyes and thought of his friend.

"Shindong. Emergency. Tell Roseanne. Wannie found the missing daughter. They want to bring her home immediately. But they need my ship. What do I do?"

...

...

"Catropus. Please help them if you can. But know that it will be dangerous. I owe you another favor, my friend. Be careful, and thanks."