Chapter 2: The Throne

It was a miracle. The 66-year old king had somehow managed to procreate once more. And it would be his 11th kid, and hopefully his first son.

Because the first ten of his offspring all happened to be female, unworthy successors to the throne, the pressure to produce an heir weighed heavily on King Moosong. And while his other wives had given up, his seventh wife, a 22-year-old court lady, managed to bear a child for him.

And in the third month of the 948th year, his 11th child was born.

"Where is he? Where is my son?", asked King Moosong in excitement as he made his way to the birthing chamber of his seventh wife. He entered, and his wife was in tears, holding a baby in her arms.

"LEAVE US!!", he shouted. And immediately, all the bed maidens left the room.

"Forgive me, your highness.", she apologized while nursing the newly-born, 11th daughter of the king.

They both knew that this was the last chance for an heir to the throne. And if word got out that King Moosong failed once more to produce a male successor, all the noble houses would fight tooth and nail to place one of their own on the throne.

"How many servants saw this child?", asked the king.

"The bed maidens, and my personal aid, your highness."

The king nodded, stood up, and went to the guards that were standing outside the chambers. He whispered something to them.

The guards nodded and left immediately as the king went back to his newborn.

"She is beautiful, more beautiful than the rest.", he said as he held the baby in his arms.

"I would like to raise her personally, your highness. If you'd let me."

"She will be raised within the castle grounds. If you wish to watch over her, I will give you a place just beside the inner keep", said the king.

There was visible confusion on the mother's face since only a prince was allowed to live inside the castle. She was about to ask when loud shouts suddenly came from the outside.

"Your highness, what have you done?", asked his wife as the baby began to cry.

"Sshhhh... Do not cry. A prince should not waste his tears on his people.", said King Moosong.

"Please, your highness, she is just a child.", begged the young mother to the old king.

As the king slowly walked out of her birthing chambers, all she could do was crawl as she was still unable to stand. 

He looked back at his exhausted wife, desperately crawling on the floor towards him.

"You have given me a son, Lalisa. That is the truth I have decided on believing. That is the truth the kingdom will know. If you wish to keep your life, you will accept this truth as well. For anyone who says otherwise will be sentenced to death."

"Yes... Your highness. As long as she... ... he is safe."

 "Thank you. I shall make sure that you have a place in the inner keep and that your family receives gold and honor."

With tears in her eyes, Lalisa could not do anything but bow her head and close her eyes before replying.

"As you wish, your highness."

Nine years later...

"Prince Lee, Lady Lalisa is calling for you.", said Yoona, the prince's handmaiden.