Chapter 7: Queen Regent

"I see that you are well. That makes me glad, my son. Now, explain. Where have you been, and why did you leave your guards?", asked Queen Sayeon. Her eyebrows met at the center of her forehead and one of her feet kept tapping on the wooden floor of the throne room.

Lisa stood in front of the queen all by herself. To her left was the queen's adviser, Heechul. To her right side was General Shindong. Aside from the four of them, the throne room was empty.

"If I may ask, your grace, did the other guards make it back?", asked Lisa.

"Let me answer this, your grace. Of the five royal guards that you brought, my prince, two returned unharmed while one is still wounded at the infirmary. The rest were not so lucky."

It was General Shindong who took a few steps forward to answer Lisa and inform the queen. After his report, he stepped back again, but Lisa grabbed him by the arm.

"And my handmaidens?", Lisa asked.

The general did not answer. He merely looked at Lisa and shook his head.

"Have their families been informed? Is there anything we could do to help or compensate them without --"

*THUD!* *THUD!* *THUD!*

Before Lisa could finish her question, Queen Sayeon stomped her feet loudly.

"It is very late, Lee. And I asked you a question.", said the queen. It was clear that she was growing mad and impatient.

"I'm sorry, your grace. The men who ambushed us mistook me for one of the guards since we all dressed the same. They targeted the women, killing them mercilessly on the spot."

"That much has been reported to me by our dear Shindong. What I'm asking you is why they took that girl and why you ran to save her."

"In my attempt to save one life, I made a gamble and lied to our attackers, claiming that Jennie was engaged to the prince... to me. They held back their blades but took her instead, possibly to hold her captive and use her as a bargaining chip against the kingdom."

"Hmmm... How foolish of them to believe an obvious lie. And why did you risk your life for this lowly servant of yours?"

"Because my father promised her mother that she would be safe if they leave her here. And the Snow family keeps their word, your grace.", answered Lisa confidently.

"Ohhh. You're referring to the daughter of that herbalist that your father fancied." The queen was obviously displeased. And she didn't even bother hiding it.

"Yes, your grace. My servant, Jennie Kim, daughter of the best herbalist in the kingdom, Jisoo Kim.", answered Lisa.

The queen nodded and tried to fake a smile, but she was both sleepy and irritated to even bother.

"And what happened to your attackers?", asked Queen Sayeon.

"All dead, your grace.", answered Lisa, hoping that she was telling the truth.

"Hmpf... Very well. Go home and rest. Your mother had been pestering our dear General Shindong all day."

"There is another thing, your grace. I have reason to believe that Taemin the Cruel is in our Kingdom", said General Shindong, moving to the front now as Lisa took a few steps backward.

"Taemin the Cruel?", asked the queen.

Her adviser, Heechul, raised his hand and stepped forward as well, standing beside General Shindong.