Chapter 42: Different Paths

The following morning, inside the basement chamber.

"Wow... I didn't expect to see all four of you back here.", said Jisoo when Jennie, Rose, Seulgi, and Jinu entered the room together.

"As long as there are no more ogres, amma. Then we'd like to learn more. Right, guys?", answered Jennie.

The other three nodded, smiling reassuringly at their surprised teacher. They took their respective seats just like the day before.

Jisoo started with an explanation of the eight known magic schools. She couldn't help but smile as she went through each one. She was hoping that all four would return. Jisoo even prepared personal lessons for each of them with George's help last night.

"To start off, I will be teaching all of you a spell from your magic school, which requires no material components. You just need a little imagination and a lot of focus.", explained Jisoo.

She pulled a pink fabric from her pocket.

"That's my sock.", said Jennie.

Jisoo rolled the sock into a ball and stuck her tongue out at her daughter. "It's a bit smelly.", joked Jisoo.

While everyone was busy teasing Jennie, Jisoo threw the sock ball at Seulgi's face.

Seulgi had her eyes closed from laughing, and the sock hit her on the nose before landing on her lap.

"Sorry. I thought you'd be able to catch that.", said Jisoo, while the others defended themselves from possible sock attacks.

"What do I do with Jennie's sock, Miss Jisoo?, asked Seulgi while rubbing the tip of her nose. 

"Since Necromancy spells require advanced magical control, we'll start with Abjuration. Throw the sock ball towards me, Seulgi.", said Jisoo.

Seulgi aimed and released... The sock hit Jisoo softly on the left knee.

"Harder, Seul. Don't worry, I don't think the sock would hurt Lady Jisoo.", said Rose.

Jisoo nodded, and the sock lifted from the ground and landed on Seulgi's table again.

Seulgi aimed and threw harder this time.

*throws sock ball*

Jisoo didn't bother avoiding the much harder throw.

The sock ball bounced off an invisible barrier a few inches from Jisoo's face. For a split second, they all saw a ripple of green energy that looked like a tall shield in front of Jisoo. 

"This is the spell, Shield. It is easy to learn but hard to master. Do you remember those sand particles that I threw yesterday at your group?", asked Jisoo.

Seulgi nodded.

"Those represent the magical energy in and around you that you can use to cast spells. Close your eyes and concentrate. This part is the hardest for beginners. Since you can't see the particles yet, you have to learn how they feel and how they move around you. Try to gather the particles and condense them into the shape of a shield in front of you.", explained Jisoo.

"How will I know if I succeeded if I can't see them?", asked Seulgi with her eyes closed.

"You'll feel it. The first step is imagining them into the shape of a shield. The second step is for the particles to actually be a shield. You'll sense it. It could be as simple as you feel safer. We could also check the old fashion way. Miss Roseanne would help with that. Her training and your training go hand in hand.", answered Jisoo.