Chapter 17: The First Trial part 7, Catacombs

Catacombs [noun]: an underground cemetery, especially one consisting of tunnels and rooms with recesses dug out for coffins and tombs. It spans over hundreds of miles underneath cities, made of thousands of passageways full of twists and turns. Without a guide, even the most experienced adventurers may find themselves lost for weeks and months inside the catacombs.

The catacombs were the deepest part of the kingdom of Almiana. It was built after the great war, as ordered by the very first king, King Jiyong. And with each passing dynasty, it just kept expanding and expanding.

The spiral staircase lowered into a well-lit chamber of reddish-orange torchlights. Looking about, the group found many gravestones, arranged on the walls from left to right.

They relit their torches and started looking around the room.

"Kim Jong-hyun: The Fire Dragon Emperor.", read Lisa at the tomb nearest to her.

"Choi Jin-ri: The Red Queen. I've read about her. She was a beloved ruler. She served as queen regent and did everything she could to fix the kingdom until her son was of age. Even now, the citizens speak of her in stories, Red Queen Sulli.", said Rose.

"Why can't all queen regents be like her?!", complained Jennie in a loud tone. Her voice echoed around the chamber, and they realized that they have to speak in hushed tones to avoid being detected.

"Prince Lee, I heard from stories that The Thousand Graves was made years ago for the heroes who lost their lives in the great war. The catacombs were also built after the great war, right? What exactly is the great war?", asked Chen.

"The great war, from the name itself, was a war so big and so long that it required the humans, elves, and dwarves to join forces just so they could keep living.", answered Lisa.

"What were they up against?", asked Rose this time.

"Orcs, monsters, demon beasts from who knows where, and many other entities who chose to side with a group of magic practitioners who wished nothing but death to everyone.", answered Jennie.

The group continued walking with Jennie in front, as the other three remained vigilant of their surroundings. They kept close to each other and talked in whispers.

"The war lasted for almost two years. A lot of people wondered why the capital kingdom is at the edge of the continent, near the sea. It was because of the war. The city used to be bigger and was located in the center of the continent, surrounded by forests, desserts, and mountains.", said Lisa.

"Prince Lee, we're not allowed to speak of this.", said Jennie from in front.

"Speak of what?", asked a curious Rose.

Even Chen nodded and looked at Lisa.

"It's okay, Jennie. I don't know a more fitting place to tell this tale than here. The great war... was also the greatest cover-up of all time.", said Lisa.

"I guess you're right. Follow me then. I know a great place we could rest in.", replied Jennie.

Chen, who was a little familiar with the catacombs, felt lost at the speed by which Jennie navigated the twists and turns. The few paths he was familiar with only took him from a catacomb entrance to The Tomb of The Fallen King at the very end.

It took Chen about a month to memorize those paths.

Jennie memorized everything in a few hours.