Chapter 20: The First Trial part 10, The Wolf King

After being away from his family for almost two weeks, George quietly opened the door to their home since it was the middle of the night.

The lanterns were open, and the windows were closed since the snow was quite heavy that evening. George closed the door behind him and took off his boots. He walked into the living room and saw his wife, Jisoo, sleeping on the sofa in front of the crackling fireplace.

Ever so slowly, he made his way towards her. He took the fallen blanket from the floor and placed it over Jisoo, fixing her hair, and leaving a kiss on her forehead.

"Hmm? George?", asked Jisoo who woke up from the kiss.

"Hey... You didn't have to wait for me here.", George replied as he sat beside his wife, who sat up from her sleep.

"I saw you arriving in my dream last night. I just didn't expect it to be this late. Have you eaten dinner yet?", asked Jisoo, placing her head on her dear husband's shoulder and holding his hand.

George shook his head and smiled. He kissed the top of Jisoo's head as they both went to the kitchen to get a bite to eat.

After a few minutes of cutting vegetables and cooking, the husband and wife sat around the dining table and ate happily. They were laughing together when they heard a door open above, followed by footsteps coming down the stairs.

"Amma? ... APPA!~", shouted a small girl. She had shoulder-length hair, chubby cheeks, and a cute smile that brightened up the room.

George got down from his chair and kneeled on the ground with open arms as his daughter, Jennie, jumped into them.

"Welcome home, Appa! Did you bring any gifts?", asked Jennie after showering his father's face with kisses.

"Well... Of course, Nini. Ta-da!"

George pulled out a two-inch long fang from his pocket. It was smooth and quite sharp for a seven-year-old girl. But Jennie was not an ordinary seven-year-old.

She was the daughter of two adventurers. And though her mother already gave up that life to take care of her, Jennie's father, George, still took on special missions from the royal court that were too difficult for others.  

Jennie gasped, took the fang from George, and held it up to the lantern on the table. She examined it in the light while biting her lower lip.

"Is this... Is this a fang of the wolf king, appa? Did you beat him?!", asked Jennie excitedly.

Jisoo's eyes widened as she turned around from the dishes and looked at her husband and daughter.

"George? Have you been telling our Nini your amazing bedtime stories again?", asked Jisoo with one eyebrow raised.

"No...", lied George.

"YUP! Appa's stories are the best! Last time, he told me how they beat this group of fish people called merrow! And then he told me about the wolf king that lived in the frozen desert!", answered Jennie.

George lifted her daughter and sat her on the countertop near the sink. While Jennie recounted his father's stories, George looked at Jisoo and mouthed a silent sorry.

Jisoo rolled her eyes while smiling and gently shaking her head.

~~~~~