124. stargazing

calum
"I want to turn into a star when I die," calum says. "you're already a star. a rock star." you smirk. "you're so lame, y/n." you both laugh, and then his hand finds yours, lacing your fingers together. you don't want him to turn into a star. you just want him to stay with you forever. "i'd not be ok with you dying." he turns his head to look at you, and the sadness in his eyes strike you. "don't worry. by then, you'll be something amazing, a tiger or somethin' and you won't even worry about me." you gulp, "i don't think I'll ever stop worrying about you, calum. how can you lie here and watch the stars shine so brightly for us and still not believe in true love?" he smiles a little, lips still closed but the corners of his mouth turned upwards. he's always so calm, nothing seems to shake him. "the stars don't shine for anyone, y/n, not even us. I don't think humans do either." you take a deep breath and look up at the dark blue sky, feeling so young and insecure and broken. you will remember this night, lying under the stars with the man you love and knowing you will never fully reach him. "you might not love anyone yourself, but you know, i know you do, that i love you. how can you tell me that isn't real?" he takes your hand all the way up to his lips, pressing a gently kiss against the back of your hand that makes you lose your breath. "i don't think you love me. i think you are blinded by what and who you think i am, and for that, I am deeply thankful. you know me better than most people and still, you care for me so deeply even while not getting much in return. that really is the greatest gift anyone can receive. "perhaps you will find it one day, though. true love. but not in or with me." "but you don't believe in love?" you question. "no. but if anyone has a chance of finding it, it's you," he promises, brown orbs locking with yours. "i promise to watch over you from space, though. you'll find me in the stars, burning bright just for you." you wonder if this is his own version of a love declaration, having said that neither stars nor humans burn for anyone but themselves but then admitting that he might burn a little for you also. so maybe it's not as terrible as you thought, loving the boy who doesn't believe in love. it's better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all.

luke
you settled down with luke in the middle the open field with your pile of blankets, ready to stargaze. it was one of your favorite things to do– learn about stars and watch the night sky. you had memorized over 30 constellations and knew all sorts of facts about the galaxy. "oh look there's orion's belt." you say, reaching your hand out and pointing to the line of three stars. "i don't see the rest of him." luke tells you, tilting his head to try to see the constellation. "there's the sword," you tell him, moving your finger to the left, "and there's the shield." you watch his eyes squint as he tries to connect the stars. "yeah, no i'm not seeing it." he shakes his head. you chuckle, looking back to the sky. "you see that bright star in the middle?" you ask and he nods in response. "that's saturn, and you can usually find a few shooting stars around it if you look hard enough." you tell him. almost as if they the world was listening  to you, a shooting star quickly passes by the planet. it was a short burst of light, but you couldn't miss it. "wow!" luke exclaims, smiling wide. you giggle at his fascination, happy to share your knowledge and the moment with him. the night continued with cuddles and him asking you about the stars above. once you decided it was time to head back home, luke turns to you. "you know what, y/n? i may not know a lot about the sky, but you know what i do know?" he raises an eyebrow at you as you give him a questionable smile. "that if i had a star for every time you brightened my day, i'd be holding a galaxy." you laugh at his cheesiness and leave a peck on his lips. "i love you, dork." "i love you, too."

ashton
"whatcha doing out here in the cold?" your roommate ashton asks, joining you outside on the back patio. you look away from the sky to see his tired features and a blanket wrapped his body. "just thinking," you smile. "i like to watch the stars." you were sitting on a small couch, curled up against the arm rest on the side. your hoodie, leggings and fluffy socks kept you pretty warm, but ashton knew you too well. he could tell you were still chilly, so he took a seat beside you, wrapping the blanket around you as well. "thanks." you smile softly. he doesn't reply with words, but instead leans his head against your arm. he joins you in turning your attention back to the stars above, watching them twinkle and trying to find any constellation that you might recognize. "it's nice," he breaks the silence after a few minutes. "stargazing. it reminds me there's so much more out there in life." he says, making you smile. deep talks with ashton always made you fall for him even harder the more you got to know his soul. "me too. it puts things into perspective. the world is so huge. there's so many places you could go, things you could do and life is so short. it kind of makes me wonder why i spend time worry about the little things." you admit. "like what?" ashton asks, lifting his head to look at your face. you bite your lip, feeling your heart speed up as you contemplate on what to say next. you turn and look at him, your eyes meeting his and decide to be bold. "like kissing the man i love." you whisper, leaning in. your lips connect and you smile, feeling him kissing right back. and you thanked the stars for that night.

michael
you watched your boyfriend come back from his house with one of his hoodies in his hands. he handed it to you and you smiled at him, thanking him. "you okay now?" he asked as he sat down next to you on the blanket you brought outside to do some stargazing. it had been something you wanted to do with Michael for a very long time, both of you loving the night sky, and the stars tonight were just so perfect. "yeah, thank you," you replied before lowering your back to the ground. michael layed down on his back close to you and intertwined your fingers together, looking up at the beautiful sky. you could barely hear anything, just the silence. as you watched for shooting stars, you felt michael's gaze on you, but decided to ignore it for a few minutes before it started to bug you. you turned your face and looked at him. "what?" "nothing," he replied, still keeping his eyes on you. "michael," you said. "look at the stars." he shook his head and a small smile appeared on his lips. "you're way more beautiful than the stars." you rolled your eyes and laughed softly, "okay, that's funny, but seriously, look at them. they're so beautiful." "i'm not joking, y/n. you are so beautiful." you smiled as he dropped your hand and turned his body so he was standing over yours. he leaned in and kissed you softly, your lips barely touching. "i'm so lucky to have you," he whispered. "so, so, so lucky." you lifted your hand to his hair to replace a strand of hair with your fingers. "when did you get so cheesy?" you giggled. "i'm not," he protested. he kissed your lips another time before he layed on the ground on his stomach this time. he had an arm around your waist and his head was in the crook of your neck you played with his hair and looked above to see the beautiful stars. as you stayed the rest of the night in this position, you wondered how you got so lucky to have michael by your side and these stunning stars above you.