40. purge au

calum
"calum, hurry." you tell him, looking around. he continues picking the lock and chuckles at you. "babe, you're acting like we're gonna get caught. it's purge night. everything is legal," he assures you. you both hear a click, signaling he got the door unlocked. "now let's go have some fun." he smirks at you, opening the arcade door and walking inside. you smile, following him inside into the dark building. "ready?" your boyfriend asks, then flips a lightswitch. suddenly, the room explodes with color. all of lights and arcade games turn on, the sounds of pinball machines echoing through the room. the bowling alley lanes and the concession stand menus light up, while the overhead ropes course comes into view. "wow." you say, looking around. "so, what do you want to do first?" calum giggles. "i'm thinking we play a game of laser tag, then we raid the snack bar, then play hide and seek." you tell him. "let's do it!" your boyfriend nods, running to the laser tag entrance. you laugh and follow him, spending the rest of your night having more fun than you ever thought was possible.

luke
"alright," luke sighs, locking your bedroom window. "that's all of them. nothing's getting in here." he tells you, giving you a comforting smile. you bite your lip and smile back, nervous about the events to come. "hey," your boyfriend says, sitting on the edge of your bed and putting his hand on your thigh. "i promise you i'll keep you safe." he says seriously. "i know. i'm still scared, though." you frown, looking down at the floor. suddenly you heard alarms being to blare. "this is not a test. this is your emergency broadcast system announcing the commencement of the annual purge sanctioned by the u.s. government.". you take a deep breath and stand up, following luke into your small closet. for the past seven years, this is where you and him have hidden during the purge together, just to be safe. you remember crawling into what seemed like a larger closet when you were kids. back then, it was almost like a game. don't go outside and stay hidden until morning. now, the purge was much more real. much more gruesome. much more dangerous. thankfully, you had luke by your side, and he kept his promise to keep you safe.

ashton
you and ashton slowly crept through your house, checking every nook and cranny where someone could be hiding. you had heard a window break not too long ago, so you both brought weapons along as you looked throughout the house. before you could turn the corner, you hear a loud crash behind you, causing you to whip around. "agh!" ashton chokes as someone in a mask wraps their arm around his throat. "ashton!" you gasp, seeing his shotgun on the floor. he manages to escape the chokehold and begins attacking back. "y/n, the gun!" he shouts at you, trying to get away from the intruder. you nervously pick up the shotgun, pointing it towards your boyfriend and the masked individual. the two were fighting, throwing punches and kicking each other hard, but maybe if you aim correctly, you wouldn't hit ashton. you bit your lip, trying to hold the gun steady. "do it!" ashton yells, the intruder holding him up by his shirt. you close your eyes and pull the trigger quickly, causing both figures in front of you to fall. you drop the gun and run to ashton's side. "did I hit you?!" you ask, feeling around his body for a wound. "no no, i'm okay. i'm alright. you did it." ashton breathes heavily. you look to your right to see a middle aged man, his mask on the floor beside him and blood pooling from his ribcage. "i did it." you sigh.

michael
flailing your axe around in the air, you and your group of purgers walked around the empty streets. "come out, come out, wherever you are!" your boyfriend michael yells, cocking his gun. "let's hit that house!" you tell your friends, pointing to a mansion that was sure to have some expensive furniture and gadgets inside. "oo yes!" a girl in the group says, running that way. the seven others, including you and michael, follow her through the yard, up to the front door. "open up!" one of the guys shouts, banging on the door. after no one answers, they look to you. "you know what to do, babe." michael smiles. you smirk, hold up your axe and begin swinging at the door, breaking it to pieces. once you smashed a big enough hole, your gang makes their way inside the dark house. "anybody home?" one of your friends asks as you all disperse to different rooms. two guys raid the kitchen and some others go to locate the bedrooms. you follow michael into a back room, finding yourselves in a victorian style study. "hey, you know what's on my bucketlist?" he asks. "hm?" you reply, looking through a stack of old books. "making out in someone random house on purge night." he smirks at you, making you roll your eyes. "you always wanna make out." you laugh, walking over to him and wrapping your hands around his neck. "yeah cause you're so sexy." michael winks. you just giggle and place your lips on his so he can check a bullet point off of his bucketlist.

———

what would you do during the purge? calum's preference is definitely me lol