78. the only reason (song preference)

this is from sighhcalum on tumblr! amazing writing :') enjoy!

———

calum
don't talk, let me think it over; how we gonna fix this? how we gonna undo all the pain?

"Cal," Luke said, sitting across from the heartbroken boy, eating a slice of pizza while trying to watch a movie. "You've been silent all day, if it's (Y/N), you need to talk already. Enough of this quiet shit." The frustration was evident in his voice and his actions. It's been a week since you and Calum have spoken last, a huge fight emerging from the seams of your relationship. Calum has been silent ever since, giving both the boys and the fans a big scare. You, well no one has checked up on you. At this point, you're convinced everything is your fault, considering no one has talked to you or anything. Fans aren't even giving you hate, seriously confusing you and making you feel lonely. Not even Ashton, who you've grown incredibly close to, has given you any time of his day. You're trying to go about your days, making sure to act okay in case you break down in public. So far, it's been too hard to handle, you having to come home early from whatever activity you've originally planned because every little things brings you back to him and you can't stop your heart from welting. You come home and cry, cry about everything and everyone. You've considered calling Calum, as has he, but neither of you can find the strength to. Your friends are telling you the same things as him, only putting up with your sorrow for no more than a few hours before getting irritated that your heart won't let you dial his number or drive to him. Both of you continue to utter the same word. "No," Calum said to Luke, lifting his head up to see his friend take another bite while his body slumps into the couch. "I can't talk... I need time." Luke groaned, rolling his eyes. "How much more time do you need? Time for what?" He said with the aggravation unable to be hidden any longer. "Time to think, time to understand what I can do to fix things." Luke didn't seem to understand, growing more impatient as the minutes ticked on. Calum couldn't explain it either, not even wanting to. "But you're in pain because of her, what do you need to fix? Just let her go." Calum sighed, shaking his head. He couldn't let you go, not this quickly.

luke
when I close my eyes and try to sleep, I fall apart, I find it hard to breathe; you're the reason, the only reason

Luke returned home from tour two weeks ago, and in that last one week, you two have no spoken, seen, or heard each other. You and Luke never fought, always finding a way to calming sort things out, but this time was different. There was no easy explanation of what you were going through and you couldn't keep it in anymore. You told him how difficult it was to have a boyfriend who's always traveling, always being in different place. It's not that you couldn't trust him, you just felt so alone. You didn't break up with him, being smarter than to give up the source of happiness that your life revolved around. It was just a fight that blew up into something bigger. Contact between you two has stopped since then and you couldn't be more soaked in your own sorrow. Luke, the same way. Every day he would avoid his family, trying his best to not talk about anything. The boys hardly knew either, only knowing something went on between you and him. It was now two in the morning and neither of you could sleep. Luke rolled out of bed and down to the kitchen in search of something to eat. Instead of it being silent and dark, Luke saw his mother sitting with a mug of tea and one lamp on. "What are you doing up?" He muttered, walking to the fridge and taking out a bottle of water. "I have some back pain so I made some tea. Want some?" Her actions just as sweet as they are swift and smart. Luke shook his head, sitting across from his mother and taking a sip of the cold beverage. "What are you doing up?" She asked. He shrugged, looking down and twiddling with the cap. "Can't sleep." Although he tried to avoid his family with his problem, his mother knew it all. She sighed before opening her mouth, "Talk to her, Luke. Nothing will get better by ignoring each other. She's the reason you're so happy all the time and I miss that boy." Luke smiled and so did his mother, both laughing with no purpose. Although, you couldn't laugh, only breathe out the frustration of the insomnia. You checked the clock, still only just past two. Your fingers moved to change the song but rather grabbed the phone. You knew it was late and could only imagine what you could be doing, but you found Luke's contact-as quickly as if it was the first one in your favourites, might it only be-and dialed. You couldn't stop yourself, no matter how late it is.

ashton
bitter words spoken, everything broken; it's never too late to bring us back to life

You looked around the room, seeing shattered remnants on the floor of past memories, a dark spot of last Valentine's Day that spilt from the vase holding the roses, and shared clothing scattered everywhere. It always came to this, always a mess that you were left cleaning through blurry eyes. You softly moved to the farthest point from the door where you were standing near and began picking up the piles of cloth, careful to not step o the glass. You couldn't help but replay everything that happened, hearing Ashton's words once again, feeling your arms swiftly move through the air as they threw whatever was in your hands to the hard floor, surely to make a disturbance to the people underneath your apartment. Your eyes gazed the room to find the laundry basket flipped upside down near the closet, the last thing Ashton flipped before leaving. You walked over to it, picking it up as soft as if handling a newborn, quietly placing it correctly and dropping the clothing to the bottom. Your body felt heavy, as if you couldn't move anymore, sliding to the floor, head in your hands as tears spilt out. Ashton's words would not leave your head, speaking over and over. 'I don't know why I ever loved you, you're nothing but rude and obnoxious' You knew he didn't mean anything he said, it was just the heat of the moment. Although you two hardly ever fought, when you did it wasn't stupid reasons and small bickers, it was serious issues and big arguments, but you always forgave each other because you knew your love was too strong. You looked up, your eyes meeting the silence in the room. That is, until Ashton walked in, looking around to find you, finally seeing you on the floor. It took him all of two seconds to come and sit with you, his arms around you and hugging you tight. "I'm sorry," he repeated in your ear, kissing your cheek every so often. "I'm sorry too," you whispered, nudging your head deeper into his chest. "I love you," your eyes meet as you both said it together, laughing at how well you know each other.

michael
even though my dizzy head is numb, I swear my heart is never giving up; you're the reason, the only reason

It was raining on a Friday night; the full moon lightening the road beneath Michael's soaked feet. No umbrella, no hood, just a light jacket and himself. His feet took him away from the bar he was in with the other boys, his head spinning with each step he took. Tears were mistaken for rain, the heartache mistaken for being drunk; the beer went right to his heart and the pain right to his head. "Michael!" The boys yelled behind him, trying their best to catch up. He knew they were behind him yet he didn't want to stop, only wanting to get farther away. Every so often his hand would wave them off, telling them to go away but of course they did not. They would continue to shout his name as if he would turn around or go to them. "Michael! Mikey!" He could hear them coming closer and he could feel his body weakening. "No!" He stopped and turned to them. "No, okay?" Calum looked at Luke who looked at Ashton, all confused and worried. "What do you mean buddy?" Ashton asked, moving his hand to place it upon Michael's shoulder in a comforting manner. His eyes looked soothing, as if lulling Michael to sleep. His tone was soft like he was talking to a young child. "I know you guys want me to-" Michael stopped mid-sentence, looking around then back to Ashton-"I know you guys want me to go see (Y/N) but I don't want to. She's the reason I'm here, like this. She's the reason I'm in this pain. She's the reason we broke up. She's the reason I loved anyone and now... now no one loves me." Ashton shook his head, hugging Michael in a manner of assuredness. 'No's' were whispered into Michael's ear, trying to keep him calm in his state, crying with a mess of soaked faces and hair stuck to their foreheads while clothes stuck to their bodies. "You are loved. We love you, the fans love you, and (Y/N) still loved you, but if she did this to you she's not worth it. Losing her isn't the end of the world-it's the beginning of a paradise because it's better you lose her now than later when you're even deeper in love." You knew you still loved Michael and you knew everything that happened was because of you, and you knew that you absolutely had to do something to get him back because for you-it was the end of the world.