64. zombie apocalypse

calum
"we're gonna die in here." you mutter to yourself, your head resting on your knees as you sit with your back against the wall. the groans and scratches on the other side of the door hadn't stopped since you and calum locked yourself into the small broom closet. "i've been thinking about this," calum tells you, sitting up from his position from leaning on the wall. "i think if i run out first, it will distract them long enough for you to get away." "no!" you immediately shut down his idea. "you're not risking your life for me, calum." you say, turning to face him. "that's the only way one of us is gonna make it out alive." he says, taking your hand in his. "then let me go first." you offer. "you have so much more to live for, y/n. i've already lost everyone else." you shake your head, still in protest. "we can go out together or i can go first." he sighs and smiles, "there's that stubborn attitude I fell in love with." "i don't know how you're making jokes right now." you chuckle, cupping the side of calum's face gently. "i love you." "i love you." you both stand up and get ready to escape.  "when I kick open the door, I'm running straight to distract them but you're gonna go to the right and out the door, okay?" you explain. "am I suppose to just let you die?" he asks. "i have my weapon. i'll meet you back at our base. promise." you smile softly and kiss his cheek. you take a deep breath, trying to convince yourself that you could make it out of this situation alive, then kick the door down.

luke
you walk around the abandoned mansion, looking at everyone who was still alive as you try to find luke. he's been acting different than he usually does. isolating himself from the rest of your group, mumbling to himself but otherwise being absent minded. maybe the reality of the situation finally caught up to him. the zombie apocalypse is real and it's happening. you enter a dark bedroom on the second story and find luke sitting on the floor, hugging his legs. his head shot up when you walked closer, alerted when he saw you. "luke? can I sit beside you?" you ask softly, kneeling down. "no! go away!" he said louder than you've heard him speak in the last two days. he was slightly shaking and his eyes looked like he hadn't slept at all. "babe, what's wrong? you can tell me." his head hung low but he looked at you with his eyes, an angry expression upon his face. "i got bit." he raised his shirt and exposed a swollen, bleeding part of his chest. you gasp, your eyes filling with tears and you look back and forth from luke to the bite on his body. he leaned his back against the wall, dropping his shirt and looking at you. "you have to kill me now y/n. before they found out." "no, i'm not gonna kill you." you told him, your voice cracking. "yes! we don't know how long we have left before i change and I'd rather it be you than someone else." he pleads. you shook your head, closing your eyes as tears streamed down your face. "i can't lose you, luke. you're all i have left." you cried, holding onto his hand tightly. "i'm sorry, y/n. i tried, i did," he tells you, his eyes beginning to fill with tears as well. "but now that i've gotten bit, you and everyone else here are in danger." "you got bit?" a voice interrupts your conversation. you quickly stand up and turn around to see the group leader and two other men. "ashton, wait. let's see if—" "y/n, you know what happens to people who get bit. i'm sorry but we have to kill him." he says, walking over to you. "no! no!" you scream, trying to keep them away. you're too small to stop all three of them, so they grab luke by his arms and hoist him up. you sob, wrapping your arms around his neck. "shhh it's okay, y/n. look at me." you pull back, looking into his eyes. "i love you." and you cherished those words as the last ones luke ever spoke after he was killed.

ashton
you stepped out of the shower, thankful that the plumbing was still on in the stingy bed and breakfast you and ashton found. after getting dressed in the cargo pants and black long sleeve shirt you raided from an empty mall, you stepped back into the bedroom. ashton was currently keeping watch at the window, holding his machete close. you fiddled with your wet hair as you sat down on the dirty queen bed, watching the pool of water drip from your head onto the mattress. "you okay?" ashton asked, getting up from his perch on the window sill and coming over to the bed. he sits beside you and reaches out to sympathetically rub little circles on your knee. you sigh and look at him. "what if we don't survive?" you ask. "don't say that, sweetheart – we can survive. we can do this." he tried to smile, but you could tell he was trying to convince himself of his sentence as well. "i'm gonna keep you safe, okay?" you nod in response and smile softly at him. he leans over to place a meaningful kiss to your lips, taking advantage of the time you'd had left together. "i love you, ash." you whisper. "i love you too," he smiles. "you should get some sleep. do you need a cuddle?" he asks and you nod. you lay down with your head in ash's lap as he sits up against the headboard, keeping watch. about an hour into your sleep, you were awoken by your boyfriend screaming. "they're here! we gotta go, y/n!" you jump up and grab your bag of supplies and sprint after ashton, on the run from the zombies once again.

michael
you and michael had pledged to stay together through the entire situation, protecting each other and trying to survive, but had gotten separated while fighting. after searching the entirety of the small town you settled in, you decided he died or was turned. you'd roam the streets during the day and peek out of windows at night but he was nowhere to be found. day after day he didn't return to your safe haven and it tore you apart but you had to face the fact that michael was dead and you were losing strength to carry on. by now, it's all winding down and the zombies are migrating from your town to the next. with the streets now clear, you decide to search for your boyfriend, holding onto the last bit of hope you had but had no luck. you stop in the middle of the empty street and as you're sighing, drop to the ground in tears. the only man you'd ever loved was gone and so was everyone else, leaving you completely alone. you reach into your bag, pulling out your gun to send a bullet through your head when you notice something shiny on the ground beside you. you pick it up and examine it, realizing it's one of michael's rings. your simple tears turn into violent sobs as you slip it on your finger and curl up into a ball. you were telling yourself that this was the last you'd ever "see" of him before you hear footsteps behind you. "babe? is that really you?" you quickly turn around and see michael, scarred but alive, and fall into his arms. "i thought you were gone" you sob, pulling him as close as possible. "nope, you're stuck with me." he chuckles, wrapping his arms around your neck.