Chapter 37 (edited)

(Hunters POV) (night before the promised day, hours after the training session ended)

Hours passed and we made our way to the spot where Bradley's train car exploded.

I walked onto the scene with Miles and Grumman. The MPs had already swarmed the area and closed off all the exits, they had placed tents as well and bright lights in the area.

I walked with my hands in my pockets as we came to the edge of the cliff where the bridge had blown.

I looked down at the 'accident' sight. Feeling no sympathy whatsoever for the Bradley. He's a Homunculus, he'll live.

Bright spot lights illuminated the scene in the ravine.

"The Furher's remains haven't turned up yet?" Miles asked, standing beside me and looking down at the accident.

"So far they've only found one of his subordinates bodies washed up down river." Grumman answered.

I looked at the rubble of the train car that was placed into the water. "It would take a miracle to survive that."

Though it wasn't to kill him. It was to slow him down, and hopefully I bought them more time.

"I'd like the cooperation of the Northern forces. But I intend to oversee the rest of the search." Grumman spoke.

I glanced at Grumman, that plan didn't sound okay to me. Miles and I looked at each other, not really sure what to make of Grumman's plans.

I don't like the sound of that.

"You're gonna personally direct it?" Miles asked.

"I won't be able to comfortably sleep at night till I see his corpse with my own eyes." Grumman admitted.

I stood uneasy. What about the plan?

Miles looked back at me. "And what about the plan sir? Aren't you going to proceed to Central?"

Grumman picked at his mustach. "I don't seem to have much of a choice. I suppose I'll just have to let Colonel Mustang have the biggest slice of Central pie."

He went quiet.

The atmosphere between us felt heavy.

Hearing his reasoning made me uncomfortable. I wasn't fully sure if I should believe him anymore.

I've known Grumman for many years, he knew my mom too. They were friends and spent a lot of time together while I was at war, even after I came back.

He was like family to me, but part of me always knew there was something about him that seemed off. After what I've seen, he's capable of many things. I always felt a little uneasy around him.

Still, it was hard for me to distrust him, he had been apart of my life for years.

He's probably planning something. I wouldn't be surprised if he was. Maybe he wants furher for himself. Some people want more than their fair share.

That's what mom always said anyways, she was always weary of trusting people, especially when it came to personal relationships. Some of that rubbed off on me throughout the years