Chapter 4 (revised)

(Roy's POV)

I started walking towards them, my pace increasing with every step I took, I wasn't just angry, I was furious.

I grabbed her by the wrist and guided her to a supply closet.

"What the hell are you doing?!" She tried yanking her wrist out of my grip but the force was only strong enough to make me turn towards her.

Her face almost turned pale when our eyes met, she stood frozen under my gaze. The longer I looked at her, the less angry I was and the more grateful I felt that she was right in front of me; my eyes softened in that moment.

I handed Hawkeye the forms. "Guard the door."

"Yes Sir."

I glanced back at Hunter, she had composed herself under the few seconds I looked away.

"Come on." I tugged lightly at her wrist, so lightly that I was afraid if I went any harder, she would break and crumble under my grasp.

She willingly walked into the closet and I closed the door behind us.

I stood facing the door for a moment and my heart was racing, not because we were in the same room, but because I was afraid of what she might say.

Finally I gathered up the courage and turned around. We faced each other. Two very awkward people, in a very awkward situation.

Finally, she gave into the silence and spoke. "I understand you must be angry with me." She took a shaky breath. "And I know that I probably hurt you."

"I am.." I mumbled.

"Hm?"

I cleared my throat. "I am hurt."

She looked directly at me. "I'm very sorry that I hurt you." She looked and sounded genuine in her words.

My anger only spiked again. "Then why did you leave?!" I was more angry at the fact that I didn't understand. That she hadn't said anything.

"You think it was easy?! Sitting at home alone, for months, after.. after the accident? You think I was okay? For god's sake, my son died! I was widowed at 21!" She scoffed.

I shook my head. "No! That's not what I'm saying! I don't understand why you couldn't just-"

"That I couldn't what?" She cut me off.

"That you couldn't just come to us!" I finished. "Hawkeye, Hughes, your mother, me! We were all here for you! Why didn't you just come to us!" I paused. "Why couldn't you just come to me?"

She avoided my gaze.

"When did you decide that we're not friends anymore? That you can't talk to me?"

Still, she avoided looking at me.

I leaned closer to her. "When did you decide that I'm not here for you?"

"It wasn't that simple.." She mumbled. "And after that fight we had? I couldn't come to you." She shook her head. "Not after that, not after the things we said to each other."

I laughed. "And it comes back to the fight." I turned away, pacing around the room.

"Of course it does!" She raised her voice. "Of course it comes back to that! You told me to get out of your life!"

I turned back to her. "And you left before we got the chance to talk about it! Do you think that was easy for me too?! Worrying about you! Feeling like shit! All of that could've been avoided if you just stayed! I thought you left because of me!"