Chapter 28 (revised)

(Hunter's POV)

I sat in Roy's living room, looking at his paperwork. He was behind in everything, and I was pretty good at forging signatures so-

I jolted when his phone rang, I watched him get up to answer. I continued on with his paperwork, tuning his phone call out.

He hung up and turned to me. He looked all weird and his hands were shaking.

He knelt in front of me and took the paperwork out of my hand. "Hunter."

My heart started racing, I didn't like how he was acting. "You're scaring me."

He took my hand. "Hunter, that was Mr. Babin on the phone just now. He um.... They've been trying to get a hold of you for a few days."

He paused. "There's been an accident and... your mom... didn't make it."

Mom.

Dead..?

His voice rang in my ear. "Okay."

Mom.

Dead-

"Hunter." He stepped closer. "Your mom was hit by a car, she didn't make it."

I sat with that for a moment and then all of a sudden, it felt like my chest was closing in on itself and it was hard to breathe.

Moms dead.

I gasped and kept gasping but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get a breath in. I clawed at my neck and chest because it felt impossible to breathe.

My fists balled up and I couldn't get them open again. My chest hurt, like a pinching ache.

I stood up and pushed passed Roy. He followed me. "Hunter! Hunter, breathe."

I clung to the wall, still trying to get a breath in while feeling lightheaded; one hand on my chest.

Roy put his hand on my back. "Okay, okay." He opened the door. "Come here."

He sat me down on his steps, my wheezing echoing in the street. My wheezing turned into coughing.

Roy took my hands. "Okay, breathe." He took a breath in, held it, and then let it go; he repeated.

"I can't... I can't..." I clutched onto his sleeve.

He nodded. "You can." He inhaled and exhaled.

After a second, I copied him and took in the cool night air.

He nodded. "Good." He sat beside me once my breath was calm. "You're okay."

Though my hands still felt numb and tingly, breathing was easy now.

I was calm for a second until I broke and a sob left my mouth, I leaned into Roy's shoulder.

He pulled himself closer and rubbed my back. "You're okay."

After a while, I pulled away and leaned forward, hiding my face in my hands. I took a few shaky breaths and warm tears slid down my face.

We sat like this for a moment and the only noise in the street were my sniffles and harsh breaths.

I got up. "I need to call Mrs. Babin."

Roy stood by as she explained what happened. My mother had gone on a walk with a family friend, when a drunk driver drove by them and-

She didn't make it, while the family friend was fine. She was completely fine, not even a scratch. Almost as if my mother was targeted.