Chapter 1 (revised)

(Hunter's POV)

I walked down the hall of Fort Briggs.

"General Devlin!"

Briggs is an Amestrian Military Installation that lays on the border between Amestris and Drachma.

I turned around at the sound of my name. "What is it Smith?"

"This letter came for you." He handed me the envelope.

I looked at the return address. Central Command. No doubt it's from him. I gave it back to him. "Put it with the rest." I turned to walk away.

"Don't you- want to read them?"

I stopped and glanced at him.

"It's just that the pile is getting bigger and.." He trailed off.

"I will read them." I walked off, making my way to my office. Though I never reply unless it's my mother.

"Brigadier General Devlin." Captain Buccaneer, a close friend of mine, said with his arm up.

I bumped fists with him as I walked by his desk. "You don't always have to say the Brigadier part of my rank." I stopped behind my desk, looking at the newest reports.

"I know, it's just fun. Especially since you find it annoying." He teased.

I rolled my eyes, a smile on my face. "Whatever Captain."

Buccaneer was one my closest friends. Things were rocky with us in the beginning, but once we got to know each other, our friendship took off. He's my best friend.

"Are you two slacking off?" Miles, the Ishvalan Major who was spared from Centrals internment camps, came into our space.

"Slack off? We never slack off!" Buccaneer argued back.

I chuckled. Miles was one of my closest friends as well, believe it or not. Despite my history in the war of extermination and my history as a flame alchemist.

I'm not even entirely sure how it happened. We were able to put our grievances aside and become vast friends. It was an odd friendship to say the least. I apologized to him personally, though he yelled at me for being at fault. I made it clear that I wasn't the monster I was made to be. It's not like I wanted to take part in the killing of innocent-

"Devlin!" Buccaneers voice rang through my ears.

I looked at him. "Are you okay?" He looked concerned.

I glanced at Miles, his expression held some concern, though it wasn't obvious.

I smiled. "Of course. Just thinking."

"Don't think too hard, you'll lose brain cells." Buccaneers laughs were cut off when a plastic cup it his head.

A small laugh escaped me as he turned to look at me, shocked that I threw something at him. I could tell Miles was also holding back a chuckle.

Suddenly alarms went off and the moment between us was cut short. "What's going on?" I spoke through the receiver of the radio that was installed on my desk.

"Karley, what's going on?" I spoke again, over the loud sirens. Karley was the head communications specialist.

"Drachman troops have infiltrated the border."

"Bastards!" Buccaneer stood up.

My stomach dropped. This wasn't new to me but it still had this effect on me. The sound of the loud sirens always brought me back to the war, almost like ptsd, unless it was ptsd.