Chapter 60 (edited)

(Hunter's POV)

"It's up to you." Armstrong's loud voice pierced my ear. "I have no idea why you would come ask me." She sat at her desk.

I was at the Armstrong mansion, in Armstrong's home office. Miles set a cup of tea on her desk.

I rolled my eyes. "Who else would I ask?"

She just stared at me.

I avoided looking at her, feeling awkward because of how she was staring at me. "What would you do?"

"I would keep the scar. It would serve as a reminder of what I failed to do." She sighed.

"That's exactly what I was thinking!" I hit my hand on her desk lightly. She seemed assumed by my confession.

"I guess the General has rubbed off on you." Miles looked at me.

"I guess so." I turned and sat on the couch in the middle of room. Miles placed a cup of tea in front of me.

"It's completely up to you Devlin." He stood next to me.

I looked up at him. "Well what would you do?"

He paused. "... Keep it."

I looked at Armstrong, holding my hand up. "My point exactly." I sat back. "I guess it's settled. I'm keeping it."

I watched Armstrong as she sat down on the couch across from me, she set her cup down.

"Wouldn't you like your sight back though?" Miles sat down beside me.

I reached for the teacup, but missed. "It would be nice." Miles pushed the cup into my hand. "But like I said, it serves as a reminder of what I couldn't do." I sipped the tea.

He put his hand on my back. "But you know that wasn't your fault."

I kept my gaze locked on the cup in front of me. "Either way, they were under my watch and I let them slip."

I could feel Armstrong's eye on me. "You're taking responsibility for something you're not responsible for." She finally spoke. "That's foolish."

"Maybe you should just go through with it. Stop putting that burden on yourself." Miles encouraged me.

I glanced at him and then looked back at Armstrong. "I don't know if I can..." She stared at me quietly.

I lowered my head. "When I woke up, I thought that everyone would be blaming me. Because I let both of them slip out of my grasp."

"I wouldn't blame someone who isn't at fault." Her voice was steady. "I read your report twice, Buccaneer did it completely of his own will. Like I said, I wouldn't have done anything different."

I kept my head lowered, feeling myself tear up, I wiped my face. And of course, Miles put his hand on my back, which only made me tear up again. God damn it Miles-

And then the room was quiet. We sat together, drinking tea. It was nice and simple, I almost wished Buccaneer were here.

This was a type of.. atmosphere that wasn't natural for us, so it was a little awkward. Aaaand I don't like this anymore- it's too.. weird.

"Oh." I broke the silence and dug into the pocket of my Briggs coat.

I pulled out two pictures. The picture of all four of us. I handed each of them a copy.

"I brought back Buccaneers photo albums. Inside I found this picture. It's the only one the four of us ever took." I explained. "I managed to transmute copies. I thought you might appreciate my gesture."