Chapter 21 (revised)

(Roy's POV)

I sat in the Furher's office. He stood in front of a window, his back turned to me.

"Tell me, why are you bothering to let me live?" I stared at his back.

"Because you aren't going to learn your lesson if you're dead soldier."

I was unsettled with his answer. What he did mean by that?

I stared at the ground, I knew I'd gotten myself into shit, and to boot, I probably got everyone else on my squad and deep shit too. "And the military, how long has all this been going on?"

"Homunculi have been controlling this entire nation since it's inception."

"So all this time, you've been sitting back and laughing at our struggles?" I thought back to Hughes' funeral. "I saw you at General Hughes' funeral, your hands were trembling." I glared at his back. "So did you fake that as well?"

He paused. "Why must everyone make such a fuss over the death of a single soldier? The moment a soldier dawns his uniform, he accepts the reality that he might be buried in it."

A grunt escaped as he finished his sentence. I continued glaring into his back, feeling my anger with this situation rise.

"And about my hands, Hughes' child's screech throughout the entirety of his funeral." He glanced at me. "My hands were trembling with anger."

I was disgusted with the thing standing in front of me. "How could you even say such a thing? You have a child too."

He turned back to the window. "You're speaking of Selim? He's more well behaved than that."

My eyes narrowed. "And how do you think he'd react if he found out that his father is a Homunculus?" I wanted to dig into him, see what reaction I'd get if I poked at him.

He stood silently for a moment. "Was that a threat? You'll have to do better." His voice was devoid of emotion, that it was not only angering but also terrifying.

"Selim will never work as a point of weakness in my life." He finally turned to face me. "But you on the other hand, I know exactly who to use as your weak point."

My stomach dropped and even though I wouldn't show it, I was panicking inside. I could only imagine what that meant.

(Hunter's POV)

I walked into the office, completely shocked with myself, with my decision.

"Hey." Breda looked at me.

I looked up and both Breda and Falman were here.

My mouth was completely dry.

Falman stood up. "What's wrong? You look pale."

I took a shaky breath. "... I just resigned."

"What?!" Breda stood up. "You resigned?!"

"Why would you do that?" Falman stepped closer.

I sat at my desk, running my fingers through my hair. I tried my best not to get emotional with my impulsive decision. "They were going to transfer me back to Briggs... so I resigned."

"So you could stay here?"

I snapped. "I don't know, Breda!"

The room fell quiet.

I took a breath. "I'm sorry. I don't.. I don't.." I brought my hand up and rubbed my temple. "I don't.." I scoffed. I am so shocked with myself that I can't even get a proper sentence out.