Chapter 39 (edited)

(Roy's POV) (promised day)

*bang*

*bang*

*bang*

The head officer stood in shock, his face pale and his body shaken up.

He looked down at the injured men around him confused as to what just happened.

One minute they were fine and the next they were on the ground, a bloody mess and grunting in pain.

Realization hit him like a brick.

He quickly shot his up head and looked at the ceiling rafters.

I watched as Eastern rebel soldier Charlie rounded the corner and pointed his gun at the officers head.

I thought Grumman was coming?

The remaining group stood still. I felt relief knowing we now had backup, even if it wasn't Grumman, at least it was something.

"You told them to kill everyone except Mustang. So that was a direct order to kill the furher's wife then?" Charlie looked directly at the officer.

I glanced at Mrs Bradley. Her face read fear and disbelief, and she trembled in her spot.

I almost pitied the woman.

I hate that my suspicions were correct.

"Does this mean-" Mrs Bradley's voice interrupted my inner dialogue.

"Has my husband-" She paused trying to put her thoughts together. "Has our country betrayed him?" She looked at me. "Or is it- has my husband chosen to abandon me?" She asked as if I knew the answer.

I walked over to her and knelt down. "I don't know, but no matter which one, I promise that we'll protect your life. And once the dust has settled, you can be the one to tell our country that we were always on their side."

She turned away, it looked as if her new found realization shook her to the core, it probably did. She looked heartbroken at the fact that Bradley wasn't who she thought he was.

"Here comes their backup. Let's move." Damiano, a man on Charlie's team spoke from the window.

"We're sparing your life soldier." Charlie spoke, his gun still pointed at the officer; his men ran past him. "Be glad that we're not from Briggs, this'd be a kill shot."

"What?!" The officer spoke as Charlie shot his leg.

He fell to the ground, grunting in pain.

I walked passed the wounded man.

"Colonel." Charlie caught up to me. "It's been awhile."

"Yeah. Good work." I glanced at him. "I was expecting Grumman."

"He's sorting out the wreckage your Inferno caused." He answered.

"Huh?!" I looked at him. She caused it?

He leaned closer. "And while we're already on that topic, has Mrs Bradley been informed yet?" He spoke lowly.

I paused, still a little shaken from his last comment. "No. It'll slow us down too much if she passes out." We continued walking.

"That Inferno alchemist of yours is annoying." He sighed.

I glanced at him. "What do you mean?"

"She suggested that we blow Bradley's train car and she didn't seem to care. She even ordered the Briggs men to set it up before we agreed on it." He paused. "I always knew Briggs men were harsh, but I wasn't expecting that."