Chapter 14 (revised)

(Hunter's POV)

We ran up the stairwell in the building Riza was in.

I paused when I heard gunshots echo against the walls, which only made me run passed Roy. I got to the top before he did and found Riza and Fuery up against some large thing?

I snapped my fingers, transmuting a flame that pushed him towards the window. Roy's transmutation followed shortly after mine, delivering an explosion which caused him to fly out of the building.

My hand shook, the blue electricity buzzing around it.

"We barely made it." Roy breathed heavily.

Fuery let out a breath of relief.

I could feel Riza's glare burning into me. "Colonel... Major... Why the hell did you leave your posts?" She stepped towards us.

I hid behind Roy, peaking over his shoulder.

"No matter what happened to us, you could still have kept your involvement a secret! That was the whole idea right? But you just come waltzing in here, plain as day! Are you a complete idiot!" She lectured him first.

"Yeah fine, fine. That's it. I'm an idiot. Happy?" He enlightened her.

"And you!" She looked at me. "You were supposed to stay put and watch him! Now both of you are involved! Do you know how it's going to look on your part? The former Briggs General, demoted to Major and involved in a sting operation! You're lucky if you don't get sent back to Briggs! It's going to look like you're working against the higher ups because you were demoted!"

"I didn't have anything to do with it!" I held my hands up. "He dragged me here!" I gestured to Roy.

"Way to throw me under the bus!" He turned around, except he didn't know how close I was behind him. He was practically pushing up against my chest.

He backed away, clearing his throat awkwardly and looking away. "Sorry.."

I smiled. "I don't mind."

He smirked but before he could respond, Riza threw her hand in between us. "You two are so difficult together!"

"That's already been established."

"Colonel! The targets on the move sir!" Fuery yelled, looking out into the street.

Roy pointed at Fuery. "Straight to camp Sergeant! Don't leave a single trace!"

Fuery saluted. "Sir."

We started back down the stairs.

"Colonel." Riza spoke.

"What is it?"

"Thanks for saving us back there."

Roy went ahead of me. "Tell me later. Let's just focus on the mission for now."

"Sir." She walked beside me. "You too Devlin, thanks for showing up."

"Oh well, you know me. Always having to save you." I teased her.

She chuckled. "I'm pretty sure it's the other way around." She was right however, she's had to save me multiple times.

Once we were on ground level, Roy rounded us into a car. He sat in the drivers seat, Riza in the passengers seat, and of course, I just HAD to get the middle seat up front.

He swerved out onto the street, pulling over for Havoc to jump in. He rolled down the window. "Quick get in."

I turned in my seat, looking through the back window.