Chapter 52 (edited)

(Hunter's POV) (promised day, central)

The battle was over, Ed defeated father and the souls inside him were let free.

Though the tension was still high.

Al was gone.

I glanced over at his lonely armour and my heart ached, I'd grown to really like Al, and Ed. Seeing them apart was.. strange. They were always glued together.

Lan Fan appeared next to me. "He's dead."

I glanced at her.

"Bradley is dead." She explained.

I nodded and put a hand on her shoulder. "Good." I took a breath. "Did you tell him? Did you tell Greed?"

"Yes. He knew." She didn't tell me what his response was but I was just happy that at least he knew. I guess that's what he meant by my dept being paid.

I walked up to Ed, he was sitting next to Al's empty armour.

He was quiet.

I knelt down next to him, ruffling his hair and then putting a hand on his back wanting to comfort him.

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry." The little Xingease girl cried. She sat across from us.

"It's not your fault Mai.. it was Al's decision." He tried comforting her.

"Ed!" He jolted up. "I've got the toll for him!" Ling held out a philosopher stone. "Take it. It's a philosopher stone. Use it to bring him back!"

The offer made Ed tremble and he grunted. "I can't.." He slammed his fist into the ground. "As much as I want to, I can't.. I promised Al we'd never use a philosopher stone."

I rubbed his back, feeling him tremble.

He was deep in thought.

"Edward."

It was Hohenheim, leaning against Izumi for support.

"Use my life for the toll. Use me to save Alphonse." He offered as well.

I let out a breath.

"I've got just enough life left..." He was cut off when Ed's face turned to anger.

He grunted. "NO WAY! I COULD NEVER DO THAT YOU DUMBASS! THIS DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOU!" He shifted up. "ITS OUR OWN DAMN FAULT!"

"I won't use another human life to get Al back AND I DON'T CARE WHOSE IT IS!"

He pointed at Hohenheim. "WHY SHOULD YOU SACRIFICE YOUR LIFE FOR OUR MISTAKE?"

"Because I'm his father."

Ed was taken back by Hohenheim's words.

"And that's the only thing that matters. You don't know how much you boys mean to me and I just want you to be happy. And I do bare some responsibility for this, this might not have happened if I'd just been there for you." He lowered his head.

Ed was speechless. So was I, but then again, I don't have a good track record with fathers either.

"I'm sorry Ed. I've lived long enough, just give me this chance to act like a father for once in my life." He pleaded.

I watched as Ed's face turned into a mixture of emotion, he whimpered holding back his cries.

"SHUT UP YOU ROTTEN FATHER!" His eyes were full of tears and his voice shook. "You say something that dumb again AND I'LL KNOCK YOU OUT!" He held his fists up.