Chapter 18 (revised)

(Hunter's POV)

Roy sent me out of the room to grab him a book. He wanted a book of anatomy, and luckily I had my copy back at the office. I was on my way back to give it to him. He's not going to find anything in here.. there's no way to recover from a spinal cord injury..

I looked up when I crossed paths with Roy and Riza. I held the book up. "Here's the book you wanted."

He took it from me, purposely placing his fingers over mine before pulling the book out of my hand; it sent shivers up my spine. "Thanks."

I looked at Riza, curious as to why he was out of bed. "We're going to the waiting room. Please guard Havoc for a while before returning to HQ."

Roy scoffed at her request.

I nodded. "Alright."

Roy and I looked at each other before I turned and made my way back to the room.

When I got there, it was only Breda and Havoc in the room. Fuery had probably gone back to HQ and I still had no idea where Falman was.

I stood by the window, looking out onto the street. I turned back around when I heard shuffling.

Breda had caught the ashes from Havoc's cigarette in an ashtray before they fell on him.

The look on Havocs face..

Breda didn't look any happier either.

"Damn." He took the ashtray from Breda. "They only let me smoke one of these a day, and I go and waste it."

He paused. "Geez, you know I'd thought I'd retire because of a woman, but not like this."

I stepped closer to his bed.

"So what happens next?" Breda asked.

Havoc looked passed me and at the window. "My family owns a grocery store, and I can at least take calls."

"Isn't automail an option?" Breda glanced at me.

I shook my head. Not if the nerves were completely severed.

Havoc shook the excess ashes into the ashtray. "The nerves in my lower spine were completely severed. They can't make those out of steel."

"Tch." Breda turned. "The retired life doesn't suit you." He stormed out of the room.

Havoc turned to me. "What? You're not leaving too?"

I shook my head.

He scoffed. "Geez, can't I be left alone?"

I just stood by his bed.

"Oh what? Now you're not talking to me?" He started getting angry, and my heart started racing, this pinching anxiety in my chest.

"I can't walk and now you're not talking to me?"

This is Havoc, this is Havoc..

"God!" He threw the ashtray against the wall and it smashed. "Why the hell did this happen?!"

He started getting louder and louder, my mind went completely blank and I stood frozen in fear.

It wasn't until he started crying that I snapped out of it. He sat leaned forward with his hands covering his face.

I took a breath before sitting on the edge of his bed and hugging him. After a few moments, he hugged me back, burying his face into my shoulder.

His body shook and I didn't know what to do, or how to comfort him. "I don't know what to say to you.." I whispered, rubbing his back.