Chapter 24 (revised)

(Hunter's POV)

I sat around a fire with Major Miles, Captain Buccaneer, and General Armstrong.

I put my bottle down, I felt intoxicated and my head spun a little. I pulled my hair back, and tied it.

Miles spoke. "How'd you get that?" He pointed at the scar on my neck.

I froze. "Got it when my husband left."

He scoffed. "You injured yourself so he wouldn't leave you?" He made the condescending assumption. "How forlorn of you."

The atmosphere was almost suffocating.

"Miles." Buccaneer spoke.

I brought my bottle to my lips. "No, he just beat me."

The three looked at me.

"Held a knife to my neck and threatened that if I didn't stop being friends with Colonel Lieutenant Mustang, he would kill me."

It turned quiet.

But I wasn't done yet, he made the wrong assumption, so I would keep pressing. "This one time, he kicked me so hard that he broke two of my ribs, which gave me a collapsed lung."

For the first time, Miles had a look of pity for me on his face.

"Another time, he left with my son, and killed him a car crash, just a few feet away from my Eastern home. He broke me before killing my son, and then he goes and dies in that same car crash."

I chuckled. "And you know what? Here's the best part. I could've taken my son out of there, but I was too weak, too frightened to move. So don't give that look of pity, when I'm the one who's responsible for his death!"

"You've made your point Colonel Devlin." General Armstrong finally spoke.

"Clearly, I haven't!"

I opened my eyes and almost wanted to laugh. That was so long ago that I almost forgotten about it.

Miles hated me so much when we met.. I don't blame him. I hated me too.

But that was the moment he realized how broken I was when I got there.

There's a reason why I keep my hair down and in front of me, so no one sees that scar.

And Peter... well, I'm always going to blame myself for that. Who else can I blame? There was a dull ache in my chest.

I shook my head. I need to get off these pain killers-

And I can't hear! Still!

The door opening caught my attention. Roy hurried in and held up a note.

'Mother'

And pointed behind him.

I sat up, vigorously shaking my head, and then she walked in. She was talking, yelling maybe? I wouldn't know, I'm actually glad I couldn't hear her yelling.

I watched her and Roy talk. She snatched the note pad from him and started writing. She wrote for a long time, like a really long time.

Roy and I shared a look before she handed me the note. Basically, she was getting mad at me for not calling, and that she had to hear from Riza.

Of course Riza told her. I was planning on telling mom after I'd gotten out of the hospital-

And then she went on to say that the family doctor could've done a better job. And then she mentioned her company Gala and that 'I better be well enough to be there.'