Chapter 36 (edited)

(Hunter's POV) (before the promised day)

It had been 2 months since we found out the date of the promised day.

The actual day was approaching fast. I asked the Babins and the Danes to leave the country. Visit a different country, at my expense of course. They gladly agreed.

It had also been two months since Roy and I separated. Even after two months, I felt like death.

It didn't really get any better but... it wasn't as constant as it used to be.

I still felt like shit. Everyday, when I got up and I remembered, I immediately wanted to jump out the window because I was so tired of feeling... like this.

And I couldn't do anything to make it get better. It was just there.

I walked down the halls of Eastern Command, the building felt familiar to me. This is where I first started in the military. The very place where it all began.

I thought back to the war, the topic still infecting my mind and the feelings washing over me like a wave.

I continued walking as the false anxiety continued to build in my stomach and throughout my whole body.

I ignored it.

I got pretty good at it too.

I was on my way to General Grumman's office. I kept my pace absentmindedly, I knew the building like the back of my hand. I solely relied on muscle memory to get myself there.

I nodded and smiled to a few former classmates but didn't bother stopping to talk to them. I was nervous, remembering that the promised day is tomorrow.

Finally I made it to his office. I knocked once and entered. I stood at the door and looked at Grumman.

He looked up from his paper and gave me a warm smile.

The smile bringing me a sense of relief and comfort. I sighed, feeling a little happy and comforted being in the East.

Though the feeling confused me. This is where my mom lived. Her house was just down the road. The East is where she died. I never thought I could come back here.

"Well?" I flinched as Grumman spoke up. His voice brought me out of my own dialogue.

"Are you just going to stand there all day?" He gave me his signature sass.

I laughed, a little embarrassed at myself. I rubbed my neck. "Ah sorry." I let go of the doorknob and walked in, closing the door behind me. "I was caught up in my thoughts."

I walked up to his desk and stood at attention.

He hummed. "At ease soldier. You're not in the North. There's no need for that here."

"Ah! Right." I relaxed.

Being with General Armstrong for the past few months really brought out this 'professional' side of me. The side of all Briggs soldiers that told them to always be ready.

He sat back in his chair. "So, tell me why again?"

I sighed, feeling troubled. "General Armstrong thought it would be best for me to come in her place. She said she's needed in Central and couldn't make the trip, so she sent me, her dog." I rolled my eyes.

He laughed at my last comment. "You are indeed her dog." He leaned forward. "You Briggs soldiers do everything she says."

I let out a dry laugh. "You don't understand sir-"

I was cut off as he spun around in his chair.

"Ah?"

"Your ice Queen is a tough one, that's for sure."