Chapter 3 (revised)

(Hunter's POV)

"You were promoted to General?!" Major Armstrong sounded thrilled.

The lady handed me a form. "I was." I looked over the form and then look back at her and smiled. "Thank you."

I walked passed Armstrong. "The Furhers office is still in the same spot, right?"

"Yes, uh, do you need me to take you there?" He offered.

"Nope. I know how to get there myself." I waved as I walked. "See you."

As I walked along the halls, passing everyone I could hear the whispers start. I sighed with an annoyed smile. "Just as I thought. These people care too much."

"The Inferno Alchemist."

"Why is she here?"

"Didn't she go crazy and disappear?"

"How did they find her?"

"She was stationed at Briggs this whole time."

"It's the Reaper."

"The Blue Flame."

I laughed at that last ones. I haven't heard those in years. But I guess having the second highest kill count during the war does things to your reputation. Seems having a panic attack, causing a scene, and disappearing for years stays with people.

If Roy had the highest kill count, why is he "the hero of Ishval?" Sounds counterintuitive to me.

I found the Furhers office and knocked.

"Enter."

I took a long breath before turning the handle and walking in. I stood at the door and looked at the Furhers stupid smiling face.

"Hello General Devlin." He greeted me.

"Hello." I walked in and closed the door.

"Please have a seat." He gestured to the chairs in front of his desk; I sat.

"Nice to have you with us again."

I hummed. "Happy to be here." Obviously not.

"How was your trip here? I imagine you're tired."

I shook my head. "Not at all. But I am ready to get down to business." I wanted this meeting to end as quickly as possible.

He smiled. "Right. You Briggs soldiers are all the same." He enlightened himself. "So, business. The reason I ordered you here is because there was suspicious activity regarding state alchemists a few months back. I wanted my elite alchemists in the city incase the activity started up again."

He paused. "I also, wanted to ask if you'd like a spot on the senior staff."

I was blown away. Why would he put me on the senior staff? Wouldn't it make more sense to put General Armstrong on the senior staff? She's been in the game far longer than I have and she's held her position for years. I was only promoted two years ago.

Also, if there is suspicious activity regarding the state alchemists, why would he bring me here? In the place where I'd be most vulnerable. I'd be safer in Briggs.

No, I wasn't buying into this. It seemed weird to me. And if there's one thing I learned from the war, don't trust Bradley.

But before I could decline, he said...

"I'm not taking no for an answer Inferno." He smiled.

I sighed reluctantly. "I would be honoured to join the senior staff. Thank you for the opportunity." I knew I couldn't say no to this. Who's ever said no to Bradley??? There's no way out of this, I'd just have to play my cards right and stay low, then I'd be okay.