Chapter 53 (edited)

(Hunter's POV)

I opened my eyes and found myself staring at a darkened sky with smoke and fumes floating in the air.

The scene looked familiar.

Ishval?

It was dark and fires lit the area around us.

I looked around our surroundings. We were definitely in Ishval.

Sitting up, I found Riza, Roy, Kimblee, Basque Grand, Issac McDougal and Maes.

I blinked feeling confused. Aren't half those people dead?

And then it struck me.

"Hughes!" I sprung up and ran towards him, wrapping my arms around him.

He laughed. "Hey there. You slept for a long time, are you feeling better?"

I let go and looked at him, desperately grabbing at his hand. "I'm sorry!" My voice shook. "I'm so sorry I left and... and didn't answer your... calls or letters-"

"Hey." He cut me off. "I know you are. I'm not angry."

I gasped lightly. "I miss you, so much."

He smiled, ruffling my hair. "You've been asleep for quite a while. It's time you wake up."

I was confused. "What?"

"Sleep well?" Kimblee walked up to me and sat down.

I looked around, Maes now sat in front of a fire with Roy and I was back in the spot I woke up in.

"I guess." I rubbed my neck.

He was silent for a moment.

"We did well today." He looked at me. "It's no wonder they pair us up often, our alchemies when combined create something magnificent."

I raised a brow. "I guess."

"Don't look now, but you're boyfriend over there's glaring at me." He sounded amused.

I looked up and found Roy, he was in fact glaring. I shook my head.

Kimblee took a breath. "Do you think we could've been friends?"

I looked back at him, confused. "Maybe, if things had turned out differently, maybe we could've been. Why do you ask?"

"You were the only one who was ever truly kind to me Devlin, you showed me humanity. I had a spot for you, believe it or not." He paused.

Whaaaaat? Nooo. This is Kimblee, and he has spots for no one.

"And it hurt me when you pushed me away at Briggs, I was genuinely happy to see you." He admitted. "We were war buddies after all."

I looked at him, still trying to figure what he meant. Who the fuck-?

"Remember that time we got caught in that building for two days?" He made eye contact with me. "Your flames had burnt the ceiling, trapping us in the basement. You told me about your abusive husband. Indeed, we could've been friends, if circumstances were different. We missed out on the chance."

"What are you saying?" I asked.

He turned to me. "I died, Devlin."

I woke up. I was in a dimly lit room.

What was that dream?...

A hospital room?

"Devlin?"

I looked to the right and found Miles, he sat in a chair next to my bed.

"Miles." I lifted my head, I felt dazed and sleepy.