Chapter 25 (revised)

(Hunter's POV)

"The Lieutenant said it was yours." Edward handed me my gun. "She cleaned it."

I checked the clip. "Did you use it?"

He sat in Roy's chair. "No.. I couldn't."

I put it on the side table. "I've had that since Ishval."

He paused. "I found out Scar killed Winry's parents." His voice sounded small. "Winry almost shot him... I think she would have if I didn't take the gun away.. and she could barely stop crying." He sighed. "I feel like I only managed to make things worse. Like... I don't know."

Clearly, that was something weighing heavily on his mind. He wouldn't have brought it up so suddenly if it wasn't.

I had sympathy for him. "Come on, that's not true. You can't make things bad when they're already bad. You feel that way because you made it back, and trust me, it passes."

I pointed at his automail. "Focus on whats in front of you. On staying alive, so that you can protect the people you love."

He jolted up and started freaking out. "It's not like that! We've- we've been friends since we were kids! She's like family!"

I was confused. Who does he love? His friend?

"Why- why would you assume that I love Win-"
He stopped talking when he realized that I had no idea what he was talking about.

I hid my laugh when I put the pieces together. "I didn't say that you love her. I said protect the people that you love."

He was embarrassed. He had just outed himself, whether he knew it or not. "You and the Colonel huh? We walked in on you two sucking each other's faces."

I laughed. Trying to make me feel embarrassed because you embarrassed yourself. "You and Winry huh?"

"NO!"

I continued laughing. He really thought he could deflect his embarrassment on me? Pffft, please.

"Can I ask you about Ishval?" He sounded hesitant.

My laugh faded when he asked, and this somber feeling took over. "Is that something you really want to know about?"

He nodded. "But.. you don't have to tell me if it's too much-"

I took a breath. I'd have to sugar coat it for this literal child sitting next to me. "The sand soaked up any blood, and the air was putrid with fumes, decay, and the smell of burning flesh, which followed me everywhere."

I sighed, feeling my stomach turn. "I hadn't been apart of the extermination until I resigned from being Marcoh's assistant. Major Armstrong opted out and I was sent in to replace him. Before that, I worked with the researchers and in the medical tents."

"So- did you know the Rockbell doctors?"

My heart twinged. "I did. They were good people. They helped a lot of Ishvalans." I paused. "And they talked a lot about their daughter."

He went silent, he looked deep in thought.

"I took part in a cause that I didn't even believe in and it still makes me nauseous." Not to mention the nightmares that follow-

He lifted his head. "Why did you fight?"

"Because I had to." It's as simple as that. "I had a job to do, and I had to finish it if I wanted to get back to my family. And I would do anything for the people I love. That's what got me through."

He was taken back with my answer. "If the Colonel does restore power back to the parliament, and the country becomes democratic again, that would mean you guys would be seen as war criminals right?"