Chapter 68

(Hunter's POV)

I stepped off the train and onto the platform. I looked up at the sky and took a deep breath but immediately regretted the decision.

I forgot about Central's disgusting air.

"Hunter?"

"Hm?" I glanced at Roy, he finally shaved the moustache.

He stood with worry in his eyes. It had been almost three years since I had been back here, so of course, he was worried.

I chuckled and walked towards him, linking my arm with his. "I'm fine."

"Alright.."

We walked in silence for a moment.

"Has everyone returned from Ishval?" I broke the quiet.

He took a breath. "Probably, it's been over two months."

"And the squad is staying in the East?"

He nodded. "From what I can tell."

"Ah." I nodded. "Do we really have to meet with Mrs Bradley?" I sighed.

He nodded. "She requested a meeting with me."

"Why'd you bring me then? If she only wanted to meet with you."

He chuckled. "I like having you by my side. Besides, we won't be here for long."

"I don't think I can look the woman in the face.. and did she really keep Salem? Even after we advised her not to?"

"She did, but from what I've been told he seems normal."

It wasn't long till we were walking into Mrs Bradley's mansion. We were greeted by both her and Salem, I tried my best not to show any disgust or discomfort.

I followed her and Roy up a flight stairs and into a sitting room, there they sat and talked about whatever they needed to talk about.

I just walked around the room, not paying any attention.

The room was nice, with big mirrors and paintings on the walls, bookshelves that were stacked high and furniture scattered around the room.

I stood in front of the large floor length windows, slightly marvelling at the scenery outside.

I froze feeling a pair of small eyes on me.

I looked down and found Salem looking at me, my heart started racing on instinct.

"Hello!" He smiled brightly.

I swallowed hard before speaking. "Hello.."

"You're really pretty!" He beamed. "But short.."

"Salem." Mrs Bradley called him. "It's not nice to comment on people's height. Apologize."

His face dropped. "I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

I marvelled at the small child for a few moments. He reminded me so much of Peter. Peter was about this age when he-

I knelt down so that I was eye level with him. This wasn't a Homunculus, this was an actual child. I chuckled as I stared at him.

For no reason, tears sprung to my eyes. I sniffled lightly as my laughing came to a stop.

I flinched feeling a tiny hand wipe away my tears. "Why are you crying?" He sounded concerned. "Are you sad?"

"Hunter." I looked up as Roy stood up from his chair.

I shook my head, he understood but hesitated to sit back down.