Chapter 34 (revised)

(Roy's POV)

I paced up and down in our bathroom or, what was our bathroom.

My hair soaked and I wasn't even in clothes yet. Hunter had already gone downstairs.

I leaned against the sink, the bathroom was still humid; I stared at the wall. I have to do this...

Agh! But I don't want to!

I took a breath. This is for the best, right...? I'm doing the right thing, I have to do the right thing.

I paused.

No one ever said doing the right thing was easy.

Just... think of the bigger picture. This is for her safety, and I would sacrifice myself for her.

If I don't do this then... then they'll use her-

I stood up straight up. I hated this situation. If I don't this then it'll... have... it just won't be good. But if I do do this then... everything will be over.

Like over over.

Really over.

I looked at the shower, smiling at what had just happened and she said no at the hospital.. but then dragged me up here.

My smile faded and there was this ugly, dull ache in my chest.

I sighed.

She seems so happy now, despite everything that's happened with Peter and Hughes, and now her mother.

I liked knowing that she's happy because of me..

And now she's going to be sad again.. because of me, again.

(Hunter's POV)

I sat alone on the couch, book in hand. No one knew how relieved I was to be back home after a long day of chasing Armstrong around.

And now I got to relax at home, and my home wasn't empty and alone anymore

I wasn't empty and alone anymore, having Roy around really changed my mood, it changed a lot of things, good things.

I thought a moment, this was the first time in a long time that I was truly happy. Sure, some things were missing, or rather, some people were missing.

But nothing was ever perfect, I could learn to live without some of those people, I had to. What choice did I have?

"Hunter."

"Hm?" I looked up from my book. He looked all weird and he wouldn't look at me, instead he looked at the ground.

"I need to talk to you." He sounded.. quiet.

Nothing had been wrong up until now, everything was okay, or at least I thought they were okay. Now I was starting to worry.

He sat down all stiffly and this sigh left his mouth.

I relaxed my chin on his shoulder. "What's wrong love?"

He stayed silent.

"I think-" He hesitated. "I think we should.. break up." The last words sounded forced.

My heart stopped and I pulled away. "What are you saying?"

"With everything that's going on, I think it would be best if we broke up." He gathered himself. "I mean, we can't even talk to the Lieutenant without looking suspicious, how can we let this continue?"

I stood up and he grabbed my hand. "We're just putting each other in harms way, please under-"

"Don't do this-" I turned, feeling my face warm up. "Please don't do this.."