Chapter 6 (revised)

(Hunter's POV)

"Hi there."

They all stared at me. No one said anything, no one moved, the only thing that filled the room was an awkward silence.

I just kind of stood there, unsure of what to do.

"Hi! I'm Alphonse, and this is my older brother, Edward." The suit of armour gestured to the small grouchy kid next to him.

I smiled at the two. "Nice to meet you." I Guess the suit of armour is a kid. Sounds like one anyways. "Brigadier General Hunter Devlin. The Inferno Alchemist." I introduced myself.

I glanced at Roy, he had already been staring at me. I guess he didn't hear about my promotion. Ha, I made it to General before you did. He held eye contact with me, I smiled and he quickly glanced away, in an attempt to hide his face.

Pfft, what's he hiding his face for?

"She's the first female state alchemist." Riza explained.

I waved her off. "Yeah, we get it." It made me feel awkward when people pointed that out. I never made that point clear. I'm just an alchemist, gender had nothing to do with it.

Edward stared at me. Though I couldn't read his face. He either thought I was interesting, or a complete fraud. Who knows.

"Um, hello?"

He snapped out of his trance at the sound of my voice, and he eyes gleamed when he looked at me again.

What's going on?

Eh, I don't like this. This situation is too awkward. I wanna leave. I felt my entire body cringe at how awkwardly this introduction was going.

"You can stop staring now Fullmetal." Roy's annoyed tone filled the awkward space.

"I WASN'T STARING!" The red kid exploded, and all Roy did was smile at his little outburst. I guess he likes to taunt this kid.

I smiled. "The Fullmetal kid." I looked him up and down. "So the rumours are true."

"Rumours? What rumours?" Edward looked at me.

"Um, that you're short." I put it simply.

And just like that, he exploded into another outburst. He threw empty threats at me, he even commented on my height. Granted, I wasn't the tallest, but it didn't bother me. I just stood there, watching him flail his arms around, yelling profanities.

I did my best to hold back my laughter and smiles of amusement. Though I probably came off as aloof, a habit of mine. I like this kid.

"Brother, please stop yelling. She's a higher up!" Alphonse pleaded with his brother.

Edward stopped at the realization and stared at me. His attitude did a complete turn around from what it once was, and he just stood there, staring at me again.

Finally, I broke and my laughter filled the room. I walked over to him and held my hand out, my laughter dying down. "Aaah, you're an interesting one Elric. Nice to meet you."

He reluctantly shook my hand. I noticed his arm was a little stiff, and the hand underneath his white glove didn't feel like flesh. It was hard and cool, nothing like flesh. And I couldn't help but notice his little limp every time he moved.

"Automail?" I watched as he glanced away.

He nodded.

"Accident?"

He mumbled. "Something like that."

"S-So," Alphonse stepped in. "The other flame alchemist." He changed the subject, taking most of the attention away from his brother and back onto me.