Chapter 26 (revised)

(Hunter's POV)

I sat on the train going to E city, Roy sat across from me. He was concentrated on something. He seemed.. concerned.

I however, ignored that, I was too focused on the growing pit in my stomach. I hadn't been back since the accident, which was four years ago.

I haven't been home in four years-

I held my hand up, noticing my anxiety tremors. Roy leaned forward and took my hand. "We're just going to your mothers, and we'll avoid the street with your old house."

He let go and leaned back. "So don't worry."

I took a shaky breath. "Okay."

He kept his eyes on his notes. He had this look on his face, the kind of look you make when you have second thoughts.

"What's wrong?"

He shrugged. "Nothing."

I looked out the window. "That scowls saying something else."

He sighed. "I'm just worried, especially after the Raven and Bradley thing."

I raised a brow. "Why did you agree to come then? You could've stayed back, I'd be fine alone."

He laughed. "You're shaking. You really think you'd be okay coming alone?"

I had no response to that. He's really making himself sound like an asshole. Instead of saying anything, I turned back to the window. "Go back to Central then."

"No." He sounded stern.

"Go back."

"No."

I flinched at the tone of his voice. It was silent between us for a moment.

"Sorry." He finally looked up from his book.

I shrugged and kept my eyes on the moving scenery.

Raven asked Grumman to join them.. but then was demoted when he refused.

What if they transferred me here and put me on the senior staff because they wanted me to join them? But why would they demote me? They hadn't even asked me.

It wasn't completely dark when we got there, but the sun was setting. Mom had sent a car to pick us up. I sat in the back, elbow rested the door, my eyes on the street.

I followed Roy up the steps of my mother's house and entered the foyer.

He put his bag down. "Just like I remember it."

I took a breath and stepped further in. "Yup."

I looked at the stairs when I noticed mom coming down. She held her arms out. "Darling!"

I smiled when she wrapped her arms around me. "I'm so glad you made it!" She let go and cupped my face. "You haven't been home in ages!"

She looked at Roy. "And you actually came!" She walked towards him and hugged him.

"Ah, mom, he might be going back to Central tonight, actually."

He glared at me and I glared back.

"Nonsense! He's not going anywhere!" She walked back towards me. "Now go change! Go! Go!" She pushed me towards the stairs.

"Mrs. Babin will meet you in your room. Oh." She grabbed my hand and pulled me towards her. "Happy birthday darling." She kissed my forehead.

I smiled. "Thank you momma."

"You're welcome, now go, go." She pushed me back up the stairs.

"What about Roy?" I pointed at him.