Chapter 50 (edited)

(Hunter's POV) (promised day, central)

I shakily walked back to the gates wall and looked out onto the darkened city. A sea of black crawled out from Central's main building. What the hell???

My heart raced and my breath quickened watching the sea grow higher and higher.

"What is that Major?" Hayes stood next to me.

"I-, I don't know.." Panic set in.

The ground continued shaking, increasing in intensity by the second; I braced my hands against the ledge of the wall.

Falman appeared behind me. "Do you think the Colonels okay?" My stomach dropped at his sudden question.

My fists clenched and tears of worry threatened to surface. I turned around and faced him. "I hope so."

Suddenly there was a large whooshing sound, a sound that caused the ground to shake more vigorously.

"Stay where you are! No one move!" I yelled out to the rest of the squad; Hayes now stood next to Buccaneer.

Falman's shaky hand landed my shoulder. "Devlin..." He sounded panicked.

I glanced at him and saw he was staring at something out on the city, he looked scared.

I turned around and looked in the same direction. My eyes widened and my jaw dropped at what had entered my vision.

The only thing I could hear was my heart beating loudly in my ears.

"Is that?..." He started.

"The transmutation circle.." I finished his sentence.

The red line illuminated the city. We looked at each other knowing exactly what was happening.

Fear took over and harsh uneven breaths left my mouth, I was speechless.

"The nation wide transmutation circle." He whispered to me, not wanting to alarm anyone else.

"They.... failed." I had to forced the words out. "It's being activated."

A look of fear contorted onto his face, and my anxiety only grew at his terror.

"Are we going to die?" He turned back to the city.

I looked out onto the city as well. "Probably."

And now we'll never see each other again... all that fighting seems so.. ridiculous now. I wish I could go back and just let you in..

He lowered his head dreading my answer.

"At least you're dying with a friend." I took his hand, trying to comfort him. "Just think of that."

He nodded.

I kept my gaze on the city when something else caught my eye. A loud gasp left my mouth.

I watched in horror as thousands of arms rose from the ground.

My jaw tightened hearing screams from the city enter the air.

"Falman..." I breathed.

"I see it.."

It was terrifying and yet.. it wasn't. There's a certain beauty about watching everything burn and standing in the centre of it.

My body stiffened.

And my breath hitched.

"Devlin?"

I can't move...