Chapter 13 (revised)

(Hunter's POV)

"You tell me what's going on." Roy pointed at me.

"What?!"

"You weren't supposed to be there! That's why I sent you home early!" He sighed. "Of course, you disobey orders." He pinched the bridge of his nose.

I scoffed. "I went to see Ross after I found out she was convicted for murder. By the way, what the hell was that? In the alleyway?"

"God.." He covered his face. "I didn't want you to see that."

"Did you actually kill her?"

"Of course not!" He snapped at me. "It was a dummy! Made of pork! And carbon and ammonia!"

Instant relief. I placed both my hands on his shoulders, taking a few breaths. "Oh you have no idea how happy I am to hear that." I rested my head on his shoulder. "I thought I was friends with a murderer."

He ran his hand up my back. "Well, technically you still are." He was referring to Ishval.

I let out a pity laugh. That wasn't exactly funny to me but-

I stepped back, caressing his cheek. "I slapped you. I'm sorry.. Are you alright?"

He put his hand over my hand and laughed. "I was being an asshole. I shouldn't have grabbed you, I know what happened to you before. I didn't think about it. I'm sorry I scared you."

"But why were you with Barry?"

I stepped back, slipping my hand away. "Like I said, I went to see Ross and ended up helping her escape."

He sighed. "You were supposed to stay put."

"Well if I had known about the plan, I would've. And why didn't you tell me?"

"Because you weren't in on it. Havoc was in the nearby dumpster, Ross jumped in and they escaped. And Breda and Armstrong are taking Ross to the Eastern Desert." He explained.

That explains the Armstrong thing... "Why the desert?"

He leaned against the wall. "The Yao family from Xing is taking her in."

"Oh." I'd never heard of them.

"I needed to get Ross out of the way so that I could reel in the real murderers Hopefully, once everything is set, we can draw them out."

So, all of this was in the effort to find Maes' murderer.

He sighed. "I just hope this goes well.."

I patted his shoulder lightly. "It will, don't worry."

He rolled his eyes at me. "Yeah."

This man really has no confidence in his ability.

And that's when I started feeling.. 'playful.'

(Roy's POV)

"Alright." She leaned in. "Fuck me if I'm wrong."

I paused at her statement. I was so caught off guard that I hadn't realized my mouth was gaped open. She smirked and my heart started racing, excitement coursing through me.

She leaned in even closer, our lips inches apart. "I'm just kidding Roy, I'm never wrong." And she stepped back.

My jaw clenched, disappointed with her stupid game. "Tch." The disappointment and rejection only worsened when she tapped my cheek lightly.