Chapter 22 (revised)

(Hunter's POV)

"Devlin?" Major Armstrong walked towards me.

Shit.. I looked at him.

He noticed my... state. "Are you okay?"

And just like that, I started tearing up. No, no, no. And then this annoying, gaspy sob left my mouth, and Armstrong started panicking. "Ah! Ah!"

I took another jagged, gaspy breath. "Sor-ry.. sorr-y.." I took another breath. "I got... work-ed.. up.."

"A-alright." He put his hand on my back, gently pushing me forward. "Let's sit down."

I didn't know where we were going and I didn't care. As long as it was far from the office.

He brought me to his office and gestured for me sit, he put a cup of water in front of me.

"Do you.. want to discuss what happened?" He leaned against his desk.

"I was expelled on a bad conduct discharge."

"What?!"

I pointed at him. "Do not say anything to anyone! We got into shit and... well, now the Mustang squad is split up, Edward and Alphonse were off fighting a Homunculus and I've been kicked out."

I put my hand down. "They were going to send me back to Briggs, and I..." I closed my eyes, dreading what I was about to admit. "I didn't want go."

"You resisted, so you they discharged you?"

I sighed and leaned back. "I guess so."

"Isn't Briggs something you wanted?"

I had no answer to that. I do want to go back but.. going back means leaving someone behind, and I wanted both. But I couldn't have both.

I had to choose, give one up for the other.

So I gave Briggs up.

"You stayed for the Colonel."

I nodded. "I stayed for the Colonel."

This is awkward.. why did I admit that to Armstrong? Shit! I need to go! Hurry before he says-

"You adore the Colonel?" His tone of voice changed, I knew, I KNEW he's going to tease me.

"Ah, that's-"

"You do! You adore him!"

I laughed awkwardly. "Ahah, I guess I do." I stood up. "I should really-"

He pulled me into a tight, tight hug; he cried. "Oh how sweet of you to give up something you love for the person you love!"

I felt suffocated, I hit his arm. "Ah.. Armstrong.."

He let me go, wiping his tears away. "I'm just so moved with your devotion to the Colonel."

"God.." I hid my face. "I should get going."

(Roy's POV)

"Colonel!" Hawkeye yelled at me. "What the hell?"

I sat back down.

"You know how Devlin gets about yelling! You yelled at her!"

I hid my face in my hands. Here we go...

"You have to apologize to her!"

"Okay!" I snapped at her. "Okay." I turned away. "Just.. let me breathe."

I looked at my shaky hands, clenching them into fists so that no one would notice. Just let me breath.

Why would she do that? She's only making herself a bigger target..