Chapter 17 (revised)

(Hunter's POV)

I don't know how long I'd been sitting there, long enough to fall asleep. I only woke up when Roy tapped my shoulder.

I looked at him, blinking away my sleepiness.

"How long have you been here?"

I rubbed my eye. "Since 4 am." So much for keeping watch.

He smiled. "I guess you do worry about me." He held up his hand, which was still clasped inside of mine.

I looked at our hands before letting go and sitting at the edge of his bed; I hugged him. "Dumbass."

He chuckled quietly, sliding his hand up my back and burying his face into my shoulder. "I said I'd come back didn't I?"

That sentence alone made me think back to my previous fear and anger, but instead of fear or anger this time, it made me sad.

I pulled away.

"What's wrong?" He caressed my cheek.

I went back to sitting in my chair. "Nothing. I'm good."

Silence fell between us.

"I owe you an apology."

I glanced at him.

"I let my personal feelings get in the way. It was stupid of me to send you home. You could've easily saved us." He admitted.

I raised a brow. "Your personal feelings?"

He looked away. "Don't make me say it."

I shrugged. "Alright, I won't. Say it when you want to."

The longer I looked at him, the more grateful I was that he'd made it out. "You really did have me worried."

He looked at me

"Asshole."

His mouth gaped open. "What?!"

I took a breath, fidgeting in my chair. "Roy, I lost two of the most important things in my life." I looked at my fidgety hands. "I didn't want to lose another."

"Come here." He held his arm out. He pulled me to lay in his bed with him. "Careful now." He looked down. "That's where I got hurt."

"Ah, I shouldn't then." I tried pulling away.

"No, no." He pulled me close. "It's alright, just be careful."

So, there I was, laying in his bed with him. It didn't feel as exciting as I thought it would be, it didn't bring that excited, butterflies in the stomach feeling. Instead it felt natural, calming, peaceful even.

I looked at the side of his face, he was looking up at the ceiling. I relaxed my forehead against his temple. "You scared me."

He took a breath. "I'm sorry."

I don't know what compelled me but I kissed his temple. It's hard to explain, but it felt like the right moment, the right decision, the right thing.

He moved to look at me, except he moved too fast and the side of his head hit my nose. "Ow.."

He gasped. "I'm sorry!"

I started laughing, quietly though. I didn't want to wake Havoc. But soon enough, he laughed with me.

But then he groaned. "Ow, ow, don't make me laugh..."

I snickered. "Way to ruin the moment."

"It's not like I meant to."