Chapter 7 (revised)

(Hunter's POV)

I sat at my desk, completely confused as to what happened before I left Roy's office.

I thought I had put those feelings away. We both made it clear how we felt but- nothing could ever come from that.

Not after Peter, not after Howard. I sighed. That was years ago, nothing will come it now so, just push it down and forget about it. I'm sure he has.

It's just our history.

My inner dialogue was interrupted by a knock on my door.

"Enter."

Two people walked in. A woman with short dark hair and a man with blonde hair.

"Brigadier General Devlin!"

"Yes?" I sat back, crossing my arms.

"I'm Second Lieutenant Maria Ross." The short haired woman spoke.

"And I'm Sergeant Denny Brosh." The blonde one spoke. "Major Armstrong wanted us to give you these forms." He put the papers on my desk. "To finalize your transfer."

"Ah, yes." I picked them up. "I've been waiting for these."

My gaze shifted to the two, the act making them flinch.

I smiled. How amusing.

"So your superior officer is Armstrong?"

"Yes ma'am!" They spoke in unison, they both looked so stiff too.

"At ease soldiers. I'm not interrogating you." I tried comforting them. There really was no reason to be so formal. Why is everyone so stiff in Central? They were completely different than the people in Briggs.

They loosened up.

"Sorry." Ross rubbed her neck. "You just look so serious."

"Plus, Briggs soldiers are scary." Brosh added.

I looked at them before laughing.

"You two certainly are amusing." I smiled at them. "Nice meeting you, Ross and Brosh."

"It was nice meeting you too." Ross spoke.

"You're dismissed."

———

I was walking back to my office but stopped when I watched Roy walk down the hall, coffee in hand and a smirk on his face because he knew every woman's eyes were on him.

They stared at him, like stares of lust and desire. I rolled my eyes.

I smirked as he came close. "Wow, popular, aren't you?"

He stopped. "I like to think so."

I just stared at him, after all these years, he still had this 'look at me' attitude.

I roughly patted his shoulder. "Don't let it get to your head now, Colonel."

I walked passed him, entering my office. I had this pit in my stomach.

Like.. I didn't like something?

And I felt, not angry but... annoyed? Yeah, annoyed.

But with who? Who was I annoyed with? What was I annoyed about? What and who was annoying me?

The thought crossed my mind that it was because people were staring at Roy, but I quickly dismissed that. There's no way that's the reason, right?

I put my files on my desk and leaned against. I'd only been here a few weeks and I hated it. I hated it so much. I missed Buccaneer and Miles and Armstrong, I even missed the Briggs doctors with their trashy overpriced coffee.