Chapter 55 (edited)

(Hunter's POV)

Once my visit was done, Miles walked me back to my room alllll the way on the top floor.

Falman went back to Roy's room, apparently he was needed there for something.

I walked into the room and found General Armstrong, she had been waiting for me.

"Devlin." She stood up as I walked closer.

"General." I nodded.

She glanced at Miles and he closed the door and waited outside.

There was silence between us.

"I take it you're well if you can move freely." She sat back down.

"Yes. I'm feeling well."

"It was stupid of you to go into a battle with no prior rest." She looked up at me.

"Yes, I know." I rubbed my neck. "Oh!" I straightened up and walked over to the closet that held my jacket and uniform.

I walked over to her and gestured for her to hold her hand out. She raised a brow at me but followed my instructions.

I placed another hardware nut in her hand. This is why I took two extras..

She gazed down at it, seemingly unphased. I sat at the edge of my bed, waiting for her to talk. She looked back up at me after a minute.

"I see you took one for yourself." She pointed at my necklace.

"Yes."

She hummed and placed it in her pocket. "I'm going to need a full report from you, you did take lead of his squad." She sounded angry.

I nodded. "Of course, I'll get on it once I'm discharged."

"What were his last words?" She asked after a long pause.

"I'll see you on the other side. Some place magnificent, even higher than the summit of Briggs." I swallowed hard, repeating his final words. "And he saluted us."

Her face was stone but she seemed comforted. "I'm glad it was you at his side then." She kept her eyes on the floor.

"I am too."

"You said over the radio that Buccaneer had landed a mortal wound on Bradley, though that is true. I came across Bradley's corpse, he was badly burnt."

I paused.

"Why didn't you say that you also had a hand in Bradley's mortal wound?"

I could feel the anger rising again. "Because I wasn't the one who killed him..." I shook my head. "If I had done my job, if I was quicker... or stronger.. I could've done it."

She sat quietly. "Your alchemy is most effective in large scale areas and if I recall, you were in a confined area. Of course it wouldn't have worked. It would be a different story had circumstances been different."

"Tch." Right...

She sat back and crossed her legs. "How was your visit with the men outside?"

"It was well needed." I shifted my thoughts from the heavy topic.

She scoffed. "Can you believe Mustang tried getting you into the same room as him?" She asked. "If it weren't for his injuries I would've gone and bit his head off."

I laughed. She eyed me this weird look on her face.

"Sir?" I asked.

She shook her head. "You'll find out in good time."