1 - New Life

*Edited*

2.6k words
༻✦༺

Today was the day.

My first day of work on the Death Star.

It wasn't my ideal job, I never in my life thought I would be working for Imperialists. But after the death of my brother Noah—the only person in the galaxy that I had—I needed to find something and quick. I just needed to earn enough money so I can start a life somewhere else, far away from the war - if that's even possible.

But not only did this job pay well, I was also  given shelter on the Death Star itself. See, I not only lost my brother, I lost my home. It was recently caught in the crossfire of a battle on Naboo between the clone troopers and the rebels.

I was so sick of this war; thanks to it, I've lost everything and everyone. The lines have started to blur and I wasn't sure which side to blame anymore. They both have taken so much from me; so I consider myself neutral, which is funny considering where I am right now.

But as I said previously, it pays well and it's the only job that came with shelter that was even remotely sanitary.

So here I am, walking along the hallways of the Death Star. I was one of the new mechanics here - a mechanic just like my father was. He was the one who taught me everything I know and I've been able to fix things since I was six years old. Which has now earned me the reputation of being one of the best mechanics in the galaxy. And thanks to that, the imperialists didn't hesitate to hire me.

I was currently walking along side a man named Admiral Tarkin. He wasn't the most pleasant person to be around, but it was something I was already used to, "And these will be your quarters." He walked me to a room at the end of a hallway that I thought would stretch on forever, "Take this com," He handed me a small comlink to put around my wrist, "You will be called upon when needed to fix our TIE-fighters or really anything else that requires your expertise. You will come quickly and efficiently." He said in a stern tone.

"Thank you." I responded in a quiet voice as I accepted the comlink from him. I wasn't ecstatic about my new life or where I was. But this was my best option.

"And I should inform you that Lord Vader will be arriving shortly. Do not speak to him, unless spoken to." He spoke in a monotone, he had no emotions in his voice whenever he spoke; it was quite unsettling. "And it's best to stay out of his way, I don't have the greatest of news for him and he has a bit of a temper." He subtly rolled his eyes as if he was speaking about an ill-mannered child.

I'll admit I was nervous to be on the same station as the supreme leader of the imperialist army. I've heard stories of him, horrendous stories that I never wish to repeat. But they all share the same aspect; everywhere he goes there's a string of chaos and destruction that follows.

"That won't be a problem." I assured him.

I planned to stay in my room anyway; only leaving when I needed to work or eat. I had no interest in being anywhere near Darth Vader.

"Good. I'd hate to lose another, good help is hard to find." He sighed as he turned to walk away without a goodbye. Not that that surprises me, he doesn't strike me as a people person or someone who is well mannered.

I walked into my new room and the door electronically closed behind me. I tossed my duffle bag onto the floor by the Queen sized bed and dropped myself onto the semi-comfortable mattress.

I pulled one of the pillows towards me and cried softly into it. It's only been a week since my brothers death, so the wound was still fresh and every-time I thought of it - it was like placing salt on a burn.