58-Weakness

Anakin's/Vader's POV
I hugged my wife one last time before I had to go off on my insane quest for freedom. But this has to be done, I have to do this; for me and for her, "I love you (y/n), I promise I'll be back soon." I sighed sadly as I laid my cheek against the top of her head as my mechanical hand stroked her hair gently. I need to give her the life she deserves, the life that we both deserve. I can already imagine a little child running around the cabin with an infectious laugh like (y/n)'s as I playfully chase them. I need to have that future with her, I crave it.

She removed herself from my hold and met my eyes; her cheeks were stained with tears. She was afraid, I could feel it and I wish there was a way I could ease her fear, but in all honesty, I was afraid too.

She reluctantly nodded, "I love you too, I'll be here waiting for you." She put on the best smile she could and I appreciated her efforts. In case something does happen to me, the last image I would want of her; is her beautiful smile.

"Alright boss, I'm ready when you are." Piett came up from behind (y/n) and I let out a deep sigh, this isn't gonna go over well with him.

I gently moved (y/n) to the side; my hand still resting on her lower back "Piett you're not coming."

He chuckled humorlessly, "The hell I'm not. No way am I leaving you to do this alone." I cherished his loyalty and I did wish he could come with me, but my decision was final; I refuse to risk his life.

I shook my head as I kept my gaze on his, I could see that he was going to put up a fight, "I'm sorry, but you can't come." I spoke to him more sternly; back to the voice I used to use on him before we became brothers. I hoped he would still fear me and listen just a little bit.

Of course I was wrong, "You're not going off on a suicide mission without me!" He was almost shouting at me at this point, "Someone has to be there to have your back, I need to be there with you, please Anakin." His voice cracked at the end and I saw his eyes begin to water.

I let go of (y/n) and stepped forward; pulling him into a hug, "It's going to be okay," I whispered into his ear while we remained in a friendly embrace, his hold on me tightened, "I wish I could bring you, but I need you to keep our girls safe and it brings me comfort, knowing that you'll be here."

His shoulders shook as he cried into mine, "But, what if you die? I don't want to lose my best friend."

How is he really making me this emotional right now? I took a deep breath so I didn't start crying as well, "You won't, I'll come back for all of you, I swear on it." I finally broke away from the hug and he wiped his eyes. And I quickly wiped a few tears that escaped my own eyes as well before they noticed.

"You better, or I'll make sure (y/n) remarries." He playfully threatened me to lighten his own mood.

I chuckled as I shook my head, "I'll haunt all of your asses." I joked back before looking down to my wife one more time, there was no hint of humor in her eyes, "Don't be afraid my love, I'll see you very soon." I pressed my hand to her cheek and caressed her softly, "Please let me see that beautiful smile one more time." I begged her and almost instantly; her lips spread into that same notable smile that melted the ice around my heart all those months ago.

I smiled back, until a felt a metal object gently nudge against my leg. I glanced down and Artoo beeped at me sadly, he was asking to come as well.

I sighed as I bent down and placed my hand on him, "No buddy, you can't come either." I caressed his metal head as he spoke me to me in his robotic voice, I smiled once more, "I love you too."