Chapter 84

"Who's the letter for?"

Blake turned to look at Jace, "Darin Stevens."

"Who's that? Your other lover" he joked.

"No."

Jace furrowed his eyebrows at her flat tone as Blake put the stamp on it.

"Wait, isn't that the guy who kil-"

"The drunk driver who killed my dad, yeah."

Jace's eyes widened, "are you sure you-"

"Yes, I have things to say to him. I'm going to go mail this."

"Well what did you say in it?" Jace asked curiously.

Blake looked back down at the envelope that held the letter in it, her writing on the front of it and the address of the jail.

I was going to write you a proper letter but remembered who I was writing to. I hope for the rest of your life that you feel guilty for what you've done. Usually people would forgive and try and move on but I'm not people. I don't forgive you, I will never forgive you for what you've done. You took away my dad, my best friend. He didn't get to see me turn 18, he won't be there to cheer me on as I walk across the stage to get my diploma, he doesn't get to see me become famous, or get married or have kids and to see his grandkids first steps. He doesn't get to see any of that because you decided to get drunk and try and drive home. He didn't deserve to have his life taken away from him, he had so much he still wanted to experience but now he can't. I hope that you feel guilty for the rest of your life because I want you to know what you took away. I was 16 when he died, my mom was a recovering alcoholic for eighteen years and when he died that's when that all went downhill. I had no one looking after me as I helped my mom. She would come home drunk, I would have to carry her up to her room. I had to comfort her when she was sad, I had to make sure she was awake. I had to do that all on my own and when I was feeling down I had no one to turn to because you took the only person who cared about my well being away. All her hard work went down the drain because of you. We stopped celebrating holidays because of you. Her and I hardly speak most days, I almost took my life twice. All because of you. And I hope you truly feel guilty by the end of this, because I'm petty and I genuinely hate you with every bone in my body. You ruined mine and my moms life, and for that I hope the guilt tears you up inside.

"Just some stuff I needed to say" she said softly.

"Did you forgive him in the letter?" Jace asked her.

"No, quite the opposite. I wanted him to feel guilty over my letter. I wanted to show him what he caused."

"Well don't you think it's better to forgive him? It would be easier to move on that way."

"No" Blake shook her head. "He doesn't deserve my forgiveness, he doesn't deserve to just sit there and not truly know what he caused."

"Blake it's better to just forg-"

"That pathetic piece of shit deserves to know how he ruined me. How he ruined my mom and my family. He needs to know what I went through and what my mom went through. You don't understand, you don't get it. He was the only person who was always there for me! You don't get it Jace and you don't get to decide whether I forgive that man or not. I-I don't, I can't ever forgive him."

"Okay, okay you're right. I'm sorry you're right."

Jace helped Blake as she slowly started to fall on the ground.

"You don't get it" she whimpered pathetically.

"I know baby, I know I'm sorry I don't know why I said that."

She sniffled, she felt awful. It was New Year's eve and her dad's second year anniversary was coming up. She felt exhausted and drained.

Jace held her, his heart aching as he massaged her scalp.

"I'm sorry, you're okay I got you baby."

"He doesn't deserve my forgiveness" she whispered pathetically.

"I know, I know he doesn't."

He hummed softly in her ear and rubbed her back with his other hand that was wrapped around her body.

They stayed there for a while, Jace let Blake calm down. She felt embarrassed that she just almost broke down.

When she finally calmed down, Jace helped her up and they drove in silence to the post office. She mailed out the letter and got back in the car.

They silently walked back into Blake's room when they got back to her house.

"Blake?"

She hummed, Sparrow sticking his tongue out and she scratched his stomach.

"When is your next song coming out?" he asked her.

"A month or two, why?"

"Just wondering, what is it about?" Jace asked.

"Us" she said softly.

"You wrote a song about us?"

She nodded, not looking at him as she rubbed her hands through Sparrow's soft fur.

"What will it be called?" he asked curiously.

"This is us."

"Can I hear it?"

She smiled and looked towards him. "No, you can hear it the day before it comes out."

He frowned at that, "why can't I hear it now?"

"Because this one is special."

That made Jace smile and they cuddled up on their bed.

Jace didn't bother getting up and getting ready for Ethan's party around ten. He so much rather spend his New Year's alone with Blake.

So when it was almost midnight, he tapped Blake on the shoulder as she read her book.

"Hmm?" she hummed softly.

She stifled a yawn as Sparrow's snores were echoing off the walls.

"It's two minutes until midnight."

She finished off her page and slid her bookmark in before looking at Jace who was smiling fondly at her.

"Thank you for spending this entire year with me" he spoke softly.

Blake only smiled, as he held onto her face- his thumb stroking beneath her eye.

"I love you" he said softly.

"I love you too bubba."

"Happy New Year."

He gave her a kiss, their second New Years as a couple and she bit her lip when she pulled away.

"Here's to another year for us."
———
4-6-21