Chapter 23

Today was October thirty-first.

It was Halloween, a lot of kids favorite unofficial holiday where they get free candy and are able to dress up like anything they want to.

It was also Blake's favorite holiday just because it was spooky and she loved scary stuff. She always believed in paranormal activity and she was always fascinated by it.

There was only eleven days until the big dance and game and everyone was excited. The football players were under a huge amount of stress because their coach is demanding that they win.

All the teachers were getting ready to be all preppy for the big pep rally they decided to have in school the day of the homecoming game and dance.

Blake thought if was all too much. Her last school never did anything like this. Her last school didn't even have a football team because they didn't have enough room to have a field and to be quite honest no one was really built to be a football player in Blake's eyes. Which wasn't a bad thing, they just had more of a thinner built to them, definitely not made for football.

"Hey."

Blake turned to look at Jace as he smiled at her.

"You coming to my game next Friday?"

"You already asked me this no I am not going. Not going to the pep rally and I'm not going to the dance."

"Well everyone has to go to the pep rally. Unless an adult pulls you out of school they don't let you leave."

"So they keep you trapped like a prisoner?"

"If you put it like that..."

(Not sure if a lot of schools do this but mine do lol. It sucks)

"Right."

Blake went to walk away but Jace stopped her.

"There is a halloween party tonight, you should come."

"Who will be there?"

"Everyone pretty much, classic high school Halloween party. You dress up and stuff."

"So like a kids costume party but just adding alcohol, immature people having sex and possibly drugs. Got it."

Jace scratched his neck awkwardly and Blake rolled her eyes.

"No I have other plans, rather not hang out with a bunch of people from our school when they suck. But have fun with your jock friends. Speaking of, they are coming this way so that's my cue to leave. See ya."

Blake walked in the opposite direction because she really did not want to deal with them today. She knew they would piss her off and she didn't want anything ruining her favorite day of the year.

§

Blake rode around after school on her skateboard. She looked at the different Halloween decorations houses had. She was jealous.

Her mom always decorated their house to make it festive but this year she didn't. It would be the first Halloween without her dad since he died the end of January.

It will be a first for a lot of holidays for them but they both knew it will be okay eventually.

"Mom you were supposed to decorate" Blake grumbled.

"I didn't feel like it."

Blake rolled her eyes and looked at the pile of Halloween decorations that were on the table. She put only a few decorations outside not wanting to go all out since she will have to take them down tomorrow.