CHAPTER 44. WORRIES

That afternoon Laurent was engaged in training the pack, teaching them his hand-to-hand combat skills which he considered fundamental. He felt compelled to pass on his experience and as he landed them one after another, he gave them advice on how they could improve. He was a young boss, stern but also thoughtful, respected by all his betas. 

"AGAIN!" He screamed trying to get one of the members to attack again. 

The pack was formed prevalentely by males, almost all of them were Mark's friends or people who didn't have a place. Besides Malia and Tora, there were 3 other girls. They had a great relationship of all of them and Malia regarded them as sisters. One of them was older than her and was incredibly cultured and Malia loved being told stories about the world. 

"GET UP!" Laurent's voice filled the training room and when he did not speak the atmosphere was filled with the blows of the bodies falling to the ground and the snarls of the werewolves fighting under the eyes of their Alpha.

Laurent's attention shifted to a movement he glimpsed out of the corner of his eye. With a lightning motion he ducked and he delivered a kick into the ground and right after two arms stretched out towards him, he avoided them by replying with punches. 

"SHIT!" 

"Too slow" Laurent chuckled patting his friend's shoulder. Mark laughed with him for then asking to leave the room not before Laurent order to keep training to the others. 

"So, what is it?" he asked Mark who now had a serious look in his eyes. "I think I found something...about...that thing" Mark replied him while walking towards the library. Laurent's eyes went dark at the sound of those words, the answers to his questions. He hoped so. 

TIME SKIPPING

"This can't be true" Laurent was incredulous at what Mark had just shown and told him, his eyes were full of concern and fear and he looked at his friend as he lowered his head gazing at the floor. 

Old books and scrolls were open on the library table, stacked on top of each other, texts on ancient stories and forgotten myths. Of all, however, Laurent looked at one intensely, as if he were afraid of it. It was an ancient book with a black leather cover, the pages yellowed and damaged. It was the book that told of the so-called "Obscura Tempore".

"Laurent?" Mark's voice brought him back from his thoughts. "Laurent, what do we do?" Mark was trying to hide it but his voice was about to broke. Laurent took a few steps next to him and with a big thud, he closed the book as he replide taking a deep breath, "Nothing" he said. 

He then started walking toward the door. "What?" Mark was surprised by his friend's reaction "You can't be serious, she's your sister how could you not tell her?" he asked without receiving no answer. It was like Laurent was trying to avoid the problem and Mark couldn't accepted it.

"LAURENT JONES, I'M NOT GONNA BE OKAY WITH YOU CONTINUING LYING TO HER AND NOT UNDERSTANDING THAT BOTH EVERYBODY'S SAFETY AND HER LIFE ARE IN DANGER, WE MUST DO SOMETHING!" 

At those words Laurent turned and stormed toward him grabbing his shirt collar and banging him against a shelf. His eyes glowed in red and his fangs were on display as he roared "DO YOU THINK I DON'T CARE ABOUT OUR PACK? DO YOU THINK I'M NOT AFRAID TO LOSE HER? WELL YOU'RE WRONG, I'M TRYING TO PROTECT HER".

"WHITOUT TELLING HER?" Mark replied with his yellow eyes pointed at Laurent's as he managed to free himself pushing his friend away from him. "SHE DESERVE TO KNOW" he growled.

"I DON'T WANNA LOSE HER" Laurent replied, his voice was full of anger and fear now. "Laurent" Mark started  "You know you're gonna lose her anyway..." he said with low voice . 

At those words Laurent lost it :  he threw toward Mark with his clawed hand ready to scratch him when he felt a terrible pain on his left shoulder. He fell on the ground grounting and panting for the pain, bringing his right hand on the shoulder.

"LAURENT" Mark immediately  knelt in front of him not understanding. "Here" he came beside him and passed his friend's arm behind his neck so as to help him get up and lean on the table. Laurent was still in pain, but now was calming down. The pain, his mind went straight to Malia, something must have happened to her, it was twice in those days. "Hei, are you all right?" Mark asked worried. 

"Yeah, I guess. Mark" he paused "call her, now" he said gasping to catch up breath. Mark knew what he was talking about, Laurent and Malia shared the pain so as to know if either of them was in danger. He took out the phone and search for Malia's number, he called. 

No answer.