CHAPTER 67. MASK

The atmosphere was darker than ever when they all sat at the table waiting for dinner. Malia had not yet shown up and the mood of all those present became increasingly sad and worried. "I should go talk to her; I feel compelled to make sure she's okay." Namjoon said standing up, giving everyone a concearned look.

In the exact moment he was about to go to the door, it opened, and Malia walked in, taking her usual place to the left of Namjoon. Silence fell as they saw her come in and acting as if nothing had happened, with an wide smile on her lips.

The girl sat down and when she raised her head, she realized that they were all staring at her with eyes full of pity and compassion. "What?" she asked making a questioning face as she poured some wine into her glass until she filled it completely. "So, aren't we gonna eat?" she asked swallowing the wine down her throat in one gulp.

The eyes did not move, they could not understand her behaviour. "Malia ... we know that" Namjoon began but was interrupted by her "What? that I have a deadly curse or that apparently I am the daughter of a psychotic wolf bitch? Oh and that my "brother" has hidden it from me for twenty-two years preferring to let me die slowly consumed by her curse?" she smiled as she poured herself more wine "yeah, I don't particularly want to talk about it or even think about it, thanks" she gave him a smile, but he scrutinized her eyes. They were void and were desperately asking for help.

He sighed sitting back, taking her hand "I understand, and we will respect your choice, but you are not alone" he said looking at the others "we will face this thing together and I promise... we won't let you die" he said looking at her with a sweetness that made her feel uncomfortable. Her trust had been betrayed, again, but for some reason it was different with them. She felt the confidence in his words and realized that inside her, she was growing fond of them all.

Luckily, the dinner came alive a little, no one touched the subject anymore and Malia even managed to laugh with them. She felt happy that evening. It felt surreal the speed with which she felt more and more connected to that pack that until a few weeks before, she would have sworn to take revenge. It wasn't like that anymore, slowly they were becoming more important than she could ever have imagined.

After dinner they all gathered in front of the fireplace in the sitting room, Malia was sitting on the sofa with Tora and Lilith crouched by both her sides. Lilith was strangely more affectionate and allowed Malia to put an arm around her. Tora was practically falling asleep under the caresses that Malia was giving her. They were chatting in a voice not too loud so as not to disturb the girl and Yoongi who was in the world of dreams sitting in the armchair next to the sofa where the girls sat.

"He looks so cute when he's asleep," Malia said causing general giggles from everyone. "So... now I'm curious, who are you really?" she asked, looking them all in her eyes. There was a silence immediately after the question, as if they felt uncomfortable. "Okay I get it, I'll start it" she said shrugging "After all someone has to take the first step" she quoted Namjoon's words looking into her eyes and they exchanged a smile.

"Okay let's see, I was born and raised in America in a hidden place in the northern forests. I had a very difficult childhood, and I won't say why. I had no friends besides my pack as my brother wouldn't let me..." she stopped abruptly. The word brother sounded so unfamiliar to her in that moment. Her eyes began to cloud.

"You don't have to tell us anything if you don't feel like it" Taehyung said suddenly. He spoke little and it was strange to hear him intervene addressing her directly. Her eyes shifted to him for a second, he looked at her with deep, compassionate eyes. She looked back, losing herself in the immensity of those dark eyes that stared straight into her soul, making her feel understood and not alone.

"I'm sorry...It's just..." she said smiling gazing at the floor "With permission, I would go to my room, goodnight guys" Malia smiled again looking at everyone "Tora? Sorry sweetie I have to get up" she said scooting away from her getting up "Don't worry Malia, I got this" Lilith said embracing her friend into her arms. Malia nodded and went upstairs to her room.

Once she entered, she let out a sigh of relief, she could no longer hold back the tears that began to flow uninterruptedly. She went to the mirror and took off her shirt looking at her torso, twisting it so she could see her back. "This is because of you" she whispered as she traced with her fingers the multitudes of scars etched on her skin. There were large and smaller ones, some inflicted by clashes with other wolves or difficult prey; others she did not know how she had procured, or rather, she did not remember.

She closed her eyes chasing away all those thoughts and went to change for the night. It was particularly hot in her room, so she decided to keep a simple black oversized shirt and black panties. She was about to turn off the lamp light when someone knocked. "Ugh! Can a girl get depressed in her bed in peace? What the fuck..." she scoffed as she walked to the door and opened it without thinking who would be on the other side.

"Still want to be alone babe?".