Chapter 39

Pov: Hwang Hyunjin

As soon as I hung up on Scarlett, I let the others know that I wouldn't be playing UNO anymore. It was the third kind of game they'd switched to, and I was getting tired of losing anyway.

I ran to my room and immediately dialed Isabelle's number. I had studied it by heart from the amount of times I'd stared at it, not finding a good enough excuse to talk to her.

I waited for a while until she pressed the ignore button. I called again and she did the same thing, only she texted me this time.

'Why do you keep calling me? Do you need something? Is everything alright?'

No, Isabelle. You need something. You're not alright.

I always call her but she keeps giving me a hard time until she answers. Something about not liking how her voice sounds through the phone.. Not that she likes her voice in general, or anything about herself as a whole.

I don't understand how some people have such little love for themselves.

I sat on my bed and called her again and again until she got worried and answered in a rushed voice. "Hyunjin? Hello? Are you okay? Talk to me."

I layed on my stomach and hugged my pillow. The way she cared made me ecstatic. I barely contained my excitement as I answered, "Yeah. I'm fine. I just missed you."

I'd never straight up called her with no reason before, which was probably why she went silent at my words. After a minute of contemplation, I heard her cough. It was very faint since she had pulled the phone far away from her mouth.

"Isabelle? You're coughing. You sounded kind of weak too. Are you okay?" I asked.

"I'll be okay," she admitted in a small voice, "I just need a bit of rest."

"Are you sick?"

"I think so. It's just a small fever. It can't stop me."

She was trying her best not to lie to me. It was beautiful.

"Where are you? I'm coming over."

"Wha- what?! No! Don't come in vain. I'll be moving out in an hour or so. I'm packing up." I heard some shuffling as she moved in the background.

"All the more reason I should come. I'll help you move. Are you going to carry four suitcases by yourself this time?"

"A fever isn't a big deal, pretty boy."

"I'm coming over. Don't move until I see you. I'll be there in fifteen minutes max." I hung up before she could argue.

***

I found myself at the lobby, asking if they had a tenant called Bingus.

The receptionist gave me a weird look. "I'm sorry. There's no such person here."

"How about Isabelle? Isabelle Snow." Again, she shook her head and I texted the girl in question.

'What did you call yourself this time?'

'Avocado.'

'Avocado?'

'Avocado.'

"Apparently, I'm looking for Avocado," I told the receptionist while barely keeping a straight face. She guided me to her door.