Chapter 83

Pov: Olivier Roche

Never have I been so scared of a battle before.

It's like the endgame.

The outcome is either us getting wiped off the face of the earth or them.

Two months. That's how long it took for everyone to prepare for this.

Some might think, 'Is this battle really necessary?'

It is. They stand for everything we stand against. Defeating them might not save the world, but it'll sure make it a better place.

As I thought of all that, a truck stopped in front of my house and the doors opened, waiting for me to enter.

The first two I saw were agents Pak and Venus. They were both smiling at me and cleared up a spot for me to rest. Everyone else was still discussing formations though we had gone over them a million times. They didn't want to let Scarlett down. She had worked the hardest.

Yes. Today is the day.

According to my call with dad yesterday, I was going to die. He already said his goodbyes just in case.

He's probably worried sick right now. Hope he won't drop glass utensils while working.

The truck took another stop and in came Scarlett, dressed in our uniform and tying up her hair. You could already tell by one glance that she was carrying the resolution of a lifetime in her eyes.

In these two months, she had grown leaner, stronger, and faster. She had devised for anything that could hold us back. She even prepared masks for everyone just in case the enemy decided to play the tear bomb fiasco again. Who knew? They could resort to poisonous bombs this time.

Each of us put together our weapons and fixed our earpieces, stretching our arms as we felt the truck slowing down.

Their headquarters were somewhere around a huge remote forest, just like the other two subunits we had attacked. The difference was the huge iron fence surrounding it and the high-tech security. Furthermore, the size of this building was multiple times the size of the others we had raided. Therefore, Lieutenant Lavigne had provided us with more troops than we thought was necessary.

"I can't hack it," I said, turning off my laptop and glancing at my friend.

"If you can't, there's no way I could," he sighed, failing as well, "What kind of blockage is this? They didn't even have any flaws."

"It's no surprise. We've been trying for weeks. They probably have geniuses on the other side," I mused, giving Scarlett the signal.

She nodded and jumped out, having her troops follow her. With only one word from her, our snipers took down all the agents guarding the fence. Before the enemy could react, agent Pak was already stealing the keycards from the limp bodies on the ground and got through the fence with his group.

Agent Venus was next as an alarm went off and the actual battle started inside. As weird as it was, Scar was hiding behind a tree, staring at the clock on her wrist with an excited grin on her face.

What a freak.

"Let's go," I told her and she raised her palm in my face, letting me know it wasn't time yet. My impatient foot kept tapping on the ground as my friend laughed, pointing out our different moods. "Why is it so peaceful?" I asked.

A distant explosion made my friend and I jump, hugging each other.

"Now we go," Scarlett laughed, tapping my shoulder and running down to the building. I pushed my friend off me and blended in with her men. We rushed through the fences, readying ourselves for the poluted air inside.