Chapter 48

Pov: Liliane Chevalier

Was it possible to shut everything off in a second?
To stop hearing and feeling everything?

The last thing I heard was the echo of a loud crash followed by the sound of glass breaking.

My hands squeezed the dirt, teardrops falling to the ground and mixing with the rain. Nothing on my body was clean anymore. It looked like I had come out of a mud race. My hair kept sticking to my face and I hated it.

I was free to grieve in the middle of the forest. This was the second time I'd cried in the rain over Scar's disappearance.

My knees shook, trying to carry my weight as I ran towards the end of the cliff, wanting to see what had happened to the van. A useless and muddy fur jacket was left behind, sitting on the lonely ground next to a once cared for pair of heels.

A ray of sunlight illuminated the worn down vehicle, accentuating the dirt and leaves stuck all over its paint. Waves of rain tried washing the mud away, but some things were impossible to clean off.

You better get out of there alive, Scar.
You better reappear like you did last time, telling me that a miracle had taken place again.

I was so desperate for the impossible to transpire that I started seeing a mourage of Scarlett pulling herself up out of the broken down van.
Her clothes stuck to her like second skin, almost looking too real. She held her hand down the door and an illusion of Changbin jumped out as well, using her as support.

"Wow. We were worried for no reason. Your friend is indestructible," Seungmin said.

"She just likes freaking me ou- Seungmin?!" My already weak knees gave out as I fell back onto the mud. A few of it splashed onto my face, causing more blotches of dirt. "Wait, you can see them too? You can?! Really?! They're there?!"

He finally stopped watching the couple walking into the forest and took note of my face. His eyes grew wide and he went incredibly silent. "Um.. Yeah.. Your friend is alive."

"SCARLE-!" I screamed, trying to notify her of my presence.

"Lily! Don't!" Seungmin exclaimed, covering my mouth. "The enemy is right up this cliff. Making too much noise will notify them of our presence."

He was right..

I took a deep breath, remembering what Scarlett had taught me not to do in this situation.

'Don't freak out.'

Nevermind, I'd already failed.

Okay, Lily. It's never too late to pull yourself together. Stand up, forge-

A bullet.

I heard a bullet.

Seungmin grasped my wrist and hauled me towards the trees as I let out an ear piercing scream. The wilderness around me looked like nothing but blurry muck through my tearful eyes.

Where did the bullet go? Did it hit me? Did it hit him? Am I dead?

A few more bullets shot our way as Seungmin tightened his grip and doubled his speed. He sprinted without taking any breaks, refusing to let any obstacle slow him down. The scenery changed from a muddy open land, to a forest filled with vines and stones, to a vast space coated by trees everywhere.

He eventually stopped, making me bump into him and fall on my knees, scraping them on some stones and tearing my favorite pair of pants. Not only that, but running while barefoot had all sorts of twigs poke through my skin, making it hard to stand up again.