Chapter 68

Pov: Olivier Roche

When was it?

When was the first time I realized I fell for her? 

Back in France. A year after we'd started working together on our mission.

Everyone thought she'd chosen me in her team because of my skills, but the truth was.. She was more than satisfied with just Sylvan and Estelle.

That's how she was. Always alone or in a very small clique. Always glum. Not getting attached to anyone or letting them get attached to her. Like a shadow, she'd float around and disappear in the dark.

She had chosen me because she, who everyone thought was emotionless at the time, had heard about the recent death of my brother. She wanted me around, wishing to monitor how I was dealing with the emptiness.

If I knew at the time, I wouldn't have joined her team. I would have misunderstood her pure intentions.

As soon as I worked with her, I made mistakes I'd never made before as an agent. My backbone had broken and I didn't feel like doing anything right.

What I didn't realize was that she never kicked me out no matter how many times I held her back. She was only patient with me; everyone else would get a cold glare and a snap of her fingers, pointing at the door.

The first few months, she'd indifferently scold me every time I messed up. My mind being as clogged as it was, I didn't like her, thinking she was too rude.

More than half a year passed by with us together, and she began to like the twins more, teaching them what they didn't know, giving them the same patience she'd given me.

What people don't know now is that Scarlett used to have three fully golden stars before she failed a teammate and got stripped of the speed star. She's much stronger than she lets on.

I only started warming up to her because of her sarcastic remarks, thinking she wasn't that bland. We became a proper team only after a whole year of working together.

Sigh..

I think I was already done for when I saw her laugh for the very first time. It was the most beautiful thing I'd heard in my life.

I still didn't understand my own feelings, but I had a new goal in mind, and it was to make her smile more. I nailed the missions she'd assign to me and goofed around, wanting to teach her how to take life less seriously.

Then the day I dreaded most came around. It was the first anniversary of my brother's death.

I took a sick leave and stayed at home, meaning to drink the night away before I heard the doorbell ring. To my surprise, it was none other than my 'emotionless' leader with a bottle of wine and two large pizzas in her hands. She didn't say why she had come, and it wasn't a day for her French lessons either, but I couldn't not let her in. It was her first time dropping by with no reason.

I made sure my eyes weren't red and fixed my hair, opening the door for her. Scar walked in without so much as giving me a glance, placing the food on the table and asking for a plate. She didn't even say 'please'.

I was so confused.

We ended up watching three consecutive movies until past midnight when I realized I was actually laughing with her. She invited me to my own roof, claiming that the huge mansion was 'suffocating'.

Then she told me the truth about why she had taken me in. She vaguely explained her own story, proving that she wasn't pitying me, but emphasizing with the raw feelings of my loss.