Chapter 66

Pov: Chu Scarlett

"I will only be playing another round and then leave to see my wife. I'm worried although she said to have fun," Mr. Castellanos said, making his way back to the elevator.

"Did you win earlier?" I asked, realizing that I truly did not understand anything they were doing.

"No, but I didn't lose much," he replied, talking about how the game went.

As interesting as the gibberish sounded, I lost focus when I saw silhouettes on the third floor while the elevator took us higher.

The third floor is off limits. Only staff can be there.

The silhouettes were wearing tuxedos.

Am I reading too much into this? Maybe someone got lost.

We reached the sixth floor again and I sat at the bar. I was about to ask for another drink but Olive cut in, asking for water.

"Water? Why?!" I whined.

"You already had three different kinds of drinks. You're going to get sick. We're on a mission," he warned, watching our client make his way to the poker table again, "That nervous man from earlier is gone. All the people at his table have changed too."

"I guess we can be less cautious then."

After an hour of watching them play, I completely gave up on understanding the rules and focused on Olive as he scanned the players.

He was sitting on the stool with his legs apart and back straight, his hair slicked back with gel unlike his usual messy look. He sipped on the water as if it was some kind of Vodka and tuned out everything but the table in front of him. The reflection of the red bar lights brought out his features.

"Why is your shirt so tight?" I asked, wondering if the buttons were doing alright. I was so bored, I could evaporate.

"Direct that question at Lily."

"I'm so bored!" I whined, watching the peaceful and safe atmosphere, "So is he winning or what?"

"It's getting exciting," he said, smiling at the players, "The stakes are high and our client has a pretty strong hand. The only thing that can beat him now is a royal flush."

"What's that?" I asked, trying to see what was going on, "How can you even see from over here?"

"Haven't I told you? I come from a long line of paranormal-"

"-Bullshit. You come from a long line of paranormal bullshit," I finished, grinning at him as he clicked his tongue and hid a smile behind his cup, looking away.

"A royal flush is the strongest hand. It's when you have the ten, Jack, King, Queen and Ace all of the same suit together. You need some otherworldly luck to pull out such a rare hand right now," he explained, completely absorbed in the game.

My eyes gradually grew bigger as I contemplated an idea. "Um.. Olive?"

"Yes?"

"Is it possible for someone to cheat and get this hand if a power outage were to happen?" I asked, bringing forth my previous concern.

"Very possible. Especially if paired by a distraction of some sort. What are you getting at?" He was no longer looking at the table, but worried about my words.

"Protect our client. I'll be right back," I said, grabbing my clutch which carried my gun.

His hand shot up and grasped my wrist, getting off his stool in worry. "Where do you think you're going?"