Chapter 46

Pov: Lee Minho

Everything was calm until we drove into a cloud of smoke. The bodyguards ran out of our van and shot at the enemy.

Minji rushed towards Han, Jeongin and I, telling us that a truck was about to come our way and pick us up, taking us to safety. I couldn't see her through the smoke; I could only hear her panicked voice.

I waited until she shouted 'Now!' and helped the kids get out of the van. I pushed Jeongin out and looked at Han.

"Hurry up!" Minji screamed, trying to push me out as well, but I barely made Han exit and fell back as a bullet hit the metal door.

Minji wrenched me back in and closed the door. It was now a bit dented and had a hole in it. I was thrusted onto the ground as it began to rain bullets.

"Don't worry. Don't worry. Don't worry," she kept repeating in my ear as she covered me, making sure I was ducking down.

"Are the kids safe now?" I asked when the smoke dissipated.

"Much safer than you." She pulled me towards a chair, hiding me behind it.

The woman driving the car shouted, "We can't stay here for much longer! I'm going to drive into the forest and try to shake them off! The others will take care of keeping them back." How she kept driving even though the the windshield broke? I had no idea.

"Don't touch the glass on the ground. I'll be right back," Minji ordered, about to stand up.

I pulled her back down and looked around. "Are you crazy?! At least wait till the bullets calm down!"

She shook her head and ran away, leaving me wondering what was so important for her to risk her life.

A minute later, she ran back to me with a gun in her hand, waving it in my face. "I was looking for this. I just popped some of their tires," she said, smirking at my unimpressed face.

"Since you've calmed down, I'm guessing we're not in as much trouble anymore," I told her.

"Yep. The bullets stopped too. We're in the middle of the forest now. We lost them." She stood up.

The ground was covered in glass. Most of the shards were clear except for a few that had crimson liquid dripping off them. Rays of sunlight found solace on the once tidy floors.

"Are you okay?" She began to check my arms, spinning me around to see if I had gotten injured at all. "You seem fine. I'm such a good bodyguard." She patted her own shoulder.

Before I could talk back, realization hit her and she ran towards the driver. "I knew it! You're bleeding! Did the windshield have to shatter like that?!" she told her, pulling out a first aid kit from under her seat. "Stop the van right now! We're far enough. Let me dress your injuries!"

The vehicle eventually came to a stop and Minji tended to the woman's wounds, bandaging her arms and waist, telling her not to move too much. She also tried to distract her from her pain as she asked about her husband's and kids' well-being, mentioning them by name.

"Is that also part of your training? Knowing everyone?" I asked.

"Imagine keeping track of every single agent you meet. Ofcourse not." She looked back at the driver who smiled at her while she narrated their story. "Our roles were switched last time she and I worked together. I was the injured one and she had to clean my wounds for me. That's how we remember each other."

"Your world is too different from mine," I whispered, taking the time to process exactly how contrasting our lifestyles were, "How are you so cheery all the time?"