Chapter 1

Pov: Chu Scarlett

The three of us were aimlessly running around my kitchen. Our breakfast was getting cold, but we couldn't care less. We were in the middle of a feral game of tag, after all.

The blonde duo looked at me with mischief flooding their eyes. How come this always ends with them ganging up on me?

They nodded at each other in a tacit agreement, running up to me from opposite directions before I could take hold of the situation.

Oh..

Oh no...

The male jumped onto the counter while the female approached me from the back, blocking all my possible routes of escape.

"NOOOO!" I shouted, but it was too late. They had already trapped me in a bone-crushing hug and there was nothing I could do but accept it.

"GAME OVEEER!!!" They cheered in unison before we all erupted in a fit of laughter. As if the hug wasn't bad enough, they started performing their silly, but in their words, carefully choreographed victory dance.

While glaring at them playfully, I poked at their chests with my index fingers and proudly proclaimed, "Just you wait, those dirty tricks won't work on me next time!"

***

My groans could be heard as I attempted to wake myself up for another useless day. My fingers made their way up to my cheeks, wiping away the all too familiar moisture. I found it so ironic that the happiest of dreams tortured me more than the scariest of nightmares ever could.

"Next time huh?" I mumbled to myself as I took the sheets off my body, and made my way to the bathroom. Usually, a cool shower washed away all the sweat and pain accumulated during my sleep, but not on days like this. Not on days when my slumber ruthlessly forced me to watch a happy fantasy, just to have reality wrench it out of my reach. And definitely not on days when the laughs in my dreams turned into tears when I woke up.

I put on some undergarments, a black t-shirt and leggings. I was used to this lifestyle now. It was called 'not even bothering to do more than the bare minimum to survive'.

As I walked down the stairs to my kitchen which, I admit, was the last place I wanted to be after that excuse of a dream, I got a call from the angency, 'Little Haven'.

That's weird.. I could've sworn I made it more than clear that I'd stop taking on their pointless missions a year ago.

"Hello?" I answered impatiently.

"Agent Scarlett. Hello, how are you doing?" Sigh.. Well here's a voice I thought I'd never hear again.

"What do you want?" He better have a good reason to have called me.

I could hear the amusement in his voice as he replied, "As feisty as ever I see.." Then he switched to serious mode again, "I'll get to the point, Scarlett. We have a case we'd like you to work on. There's a man who's in grave danger and needs only the most highly skilled bodyguards out there to protect him. You know I've never doubted your abilities. After all, you were far ahead of the other agents even back when you were traini-"

"No. Goodbye." And just as my thumb hovered over the red button I wanted to click on so badly, his lips spoke of the two cursed words, "Black Galaxy".