Benedict Bridgerton- Smoke (c)

Bridgerton One Shot

Your parents wished for you to join London's elite to offer you the best chance of getting a suitable husband so sent you off to your late godfather's family, the Bridgerton's. You weren't very pleased with the move, but they treated you kindly and tried to offer you the same experience that their eldest daughter, Daphne, had. Other than Lady Bridgerton and Daphne, you spent little time around the other members of the family past warm greetings and being forced to dance with the brothers at balls to get you amongst the eligible men.

Although you knew well that late at night, you were expected to stay within your chambers and get beauty sleep, but you struggled to sleep and needed fresh air. You snuck out from your chambers and headed out into the extensive gardens to go and sit on one of the swings and hope a cigarette would settle your nerves. You hoped that no one would be wandering the grounds at such a time, other than yourself, but that wasn't quite the case.

"Miss Y/L/N," You heard from behind you.

You jumped to your feet, holding the cigarette behind your back as you spun to look at him, hoping he didn't notice that you were smoking and also hoping that you didn't burn your dress.

"Mr Bridgerton, you gave me a fright," you said with a gentle smile upon your lips. "What are you doing out at such a time?"

"I should ask you the same," Benedict, the second eldest of the Bridgeton children, commented. "However, I shall not ask, if you could spare a cigarette."

Knowing it was the smartest decision, you handed him the tin on cigarettes that you had been hiding from him, whilst bringing your own back to your lips.

"It is unbecoming for a lady to smoke," he smirked, lighting his own.

"As it is for a man to smoke with a woman," you shrugged, returning to the swing that you had been sat on.

Benedict joined you, sitting beside you, handing back the cigarettes to you.

"I know I said that I wouldn't ask you, however I am a curious man."

You let out a gentle laugh. "I'm sure you wouldn't understand, as a man you are offered far more luxuries in the world than as a woman I will ever find."

"Clearly you do not know me well enough to make such a judgement," he stated. "I may have more freedom as a gentleman but that does not mean I can do as I simply please, alas my dreams will likely die hidden within."

"Do you wish to enlighten me on such dreams?" You questioned. "For mine are beyond what society expects of me."

He shook his head. "You are practically a stranger to me, why would I tell you what my heart holds?"

You shrugged your shoulders. "The maybe you could escort me to tomorrow's party and we can no longer call one another strangers?"

Benedict laughed at you comment, taking a drag on his cigarette and rising from his seat upon the swing.

"That is a very forward for you to ask."

"I agree but did it work?" You smiled fondly.

He offered you a warm smile, taking your hand and raising it to his lips.

"I look forward to escorting you tomorrow night," he responded. "However, I must retire and I recommend you do the same as I doubt you shall be able to charm your way out of trouble again on this night."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.